Sign in to follow this  

rad guards for 250R

I've seen several posts on here about this... I'm ready to get a set of rad guards for my bike, but not sure which. Looking at storm cycle, works connection, and rooster.

Leaning towards rooster for the protection but does anyone know if they cut down too much on the air flow?

I just put a set of Unabiker guards on mine. I choose these because they box in the rad which provides side impact protection. I also just unintentionally tested them when I pranged a tree head-on this past weekend. The right rad took the full impact square in face. I had slowed to about 5 mph before the bike slid into the 5" diameter tree. Broke off the plastic shroud and knocked me off the bike. I looked down expecting to see a lot of damage and coolant leaking. To my surprise, there was no damage what so ever. I highly recommend these guards and found Brian at Unabiker to be a first-rate guy to deal with.

http://www.unabiker.com/

I was in a mx race took a side impact very hard and not even a scratch to the radiator.I use unibiker, :cry:.What i like about unibiker compared to others that are simalar is that the front guard does not sit right against the radiator.It is about an inch to inch and a half away so you dont loose air flow.

I've got the Roosters. I ride slow speed 1st & 2nd gear with high revs on the single track. The last month or so has been about 80 - 90f and hot. No probs. :cry:

The Roosters are heavy duty, a little over kill, but I like stuff made that way. Zero worries with the Roosters. :cry:

Are there any guards available that help the side impact protection yet use the standard white louvers for the air flow / mud protection?

Thanks.

I dont think so. But if you look at Rick Ramseys sight he shows how he attached the louvers back on using aftermarket guards.

Was cleaning the bike today when Mr. UPS pulled up with my new Rooster rad guards! Of course I had to stop cleaning so I could put 'em on...

Took me approx one hour to put them on from start to finish. The guards themselves went right on - instructions were simple and straightforward. That probably took all of 10 minutes. What took so long was having to whittle away a good portion of the support ribs under each side shroud to get them to line back up with the bolt holes. Once I got them shaved down though they went right on. The guards look very sturdy and I think I actually like they way they look better than the stock louvers. Just hope I don't test them anytime soon...

What took so long was having to whittle away a good portion of the support ribs under each side shroud to get them to line back up with the bolt holes.

This is the case with the Flatland guards as well. Once I was able to cut out the support ribs, they fit perfectly.