Dualsport XR400

I have a chance to pick up a dualsport xr400, 440 Big Bore Kit, including new sleeve, new valves, and reground valve seats that was installed by Thumper Racing. It also has a Mukuni pumper carb

the setup has no speedo and no key

how is everyone handling the security issue?

What speedo do you folks recomend?

Thanks in advance Mega

I am in the process of finding out what it will take here in Texas to get mine streetable now. For security, I'm not sure any add on ignition switch is really a deterrent, but I just bought one anyway (haven't installed it yet).

I have a Kryptonite Disc brake lock, but one of the guys here forwarded me a video of how easy it is to jimmy a Krypto. Bicycle lock, haven't checked mine yet to see if it is the same way. I'm beginning to think a chain or big cable and a Master is the way to go, carried in a fender bag.

You just missed a heck of a deal on a speedo, (check out

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1379507/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1)

They were selling them for $19.95, and they are great. When they get them back in stock, I think they will sell for $49.95, which is still a way better deal than ahything else I found on ebay or elsewhere. They may not be as versatile as some of the electronic ones, but I don't want to have to scroll through 27 computer screens to get the information ?

I thought there was a really slick digital speedo people were useing, like 50 $ but digital with trip comp and everything

I remember it was aluminum with a trick mount, but cant remember the company or how it hooked up to the bike.

How often to XR400's require oil changes? If I drive this thing to work, 30 miles each way would I be doing weekly changes? That'll SUCK, on my triumph I only have to change once every 6000 miles

the setup has no speedo and no key

how is everyone handling the security issue?

Thanks in advance Mega

I either use a lock and chain or park in a visible location. The HD people will park anywhere so I do also. Except at the facy lodge up near Yosemite, they didn't want to see our dirty machines at the entrance next to the spotless HDs.

For security either dont take your eyes off of it or get full coverage insurance. As far as a speedo goes, forget those inaccurate Panoram endurance things and get a Garmin E-trex GPS. It shows speed, time of day, sunset-sunrise, average speed, and your location. And they run about $100.00, the same as the Panoram

Easily about 120, but haven't ran it low enough to ever have to flip it to reserve yet, even on both days of the LA-B2V last year. I will be jotting down the mileage on this year's ride.

I agree that the Trail Tech is Dead Nuts on for the $79.95 we sell them for. www.trailtech.net Where are you getting your info from Kieth? $100.00? ?

Baja Designs has a key you can add to the dual-sport package.

I would treat a dual-sport like a mtn bike. Chain it to something that is hard to move.

Motor

You can add a hidden toggle to the kill switch. When you turn it on, the kill switch is engaged. I once put a cable around the kickstarter. That kept my friend for test firing the bike in my garage.

Lock the drive chain at the rear sprocket.

If I go somewhere that I'm not really worried about and for a short visit, I put a lock around the rear sprocket and chain. You can't roll the bike more than a foot and it won't rip off the disc brake like a Krypto-Endo disc lock will. And it's small.

Speedo

There are a lot of people with ATK speedos. Some have spares.

I use a Cateye Enduro 2 speedo. The Trailtek speedo is a good option.

Get the motorcycle one if you want the resettable trip ODO for Enduros.

I wired in a key switch from a quad, suzuki I think, that I got from a cycle salvage. Mostly for show. You can also pull the spark plug wire off the spark plug to keep it from starting. Theft deterent and also a mean trick to play on someone.

Well I don't exactly go easy on my bike either. If I do like 300mi of just playing in the woods (given the temp isn't 100+F) I will go 500, but no more than that. Sure it costs a little bit more, but less tear downs. I mean that maybe stressing it, but I don't ride my bike as often anymore, so moisture does become a problem for me. ?