Sign in to follow this  

TTR-125L Rear Wheel Problems

Hi all.

My boys have had a TTR-125L for a few months now. After about 10 hours of fairly easy trail and track riding by beginners, one of the rear wheel spokes unthreaded from the nipple and several were loose. I tightened them up and it was fine for a while. Last weekend two more spokes fell off and most had become loose. The wheel was a real mess.

I have never seen anything like this problem. Is this common? There wasn't any lock-tite on the spokes. Should there be?

Thanks.

This happened to my bike before but I didn't know that I broke any spokes until I broke about 8 and the wheel was all over the place.

If it keeps happening I would build up a new wheel.

Thats what I did and I havent had any problems since.

I think that the Spoke Kit from Yamaha is only 30 bucks and go 1 by 1 and change them all out.

Make sure you use lock tight and they shouldnt come loose.

Thanks. I will give the lock-tite a try. I would like to avoid having to rebuild the wheel, but I guess that would be a good excuse to put on the aluminum rims!

Make sure you use lock tight and they shouldnt come loose.

:jawdrop:LOCKTITE ! YIKES!

The spokes loosen up from stretching not because the nipples unscrew themselves.

If you use locktite you will have a very hard time tightening the spokes or truing the wheel.

Use anti-sieze instead.

:jawdrop:LOCKTITE ! YIKES!

The spokes loosen up from stretching not because the nipples unscrew themselves.

If you use locktite you will have a very hard time tightening the spokes or truing the wheel.

Use anti-sieze instead.

Thank you for beating me to this one. Spokes need to be adjusted occasionally on ANY wheel, it's normal due to stretch. Usually they can be a biatch because of corrosion. Loctite would only make it worse.

I second the anti-seize! :cry:

Thanks PC.

Any reason why you think my wheel would have so many spokes loosen up all at once? The bike has several hours on it and my son wasn't riding it very hard.

Brent

Any reason why you think my wheel would have so many spokes loosen up all at once? The bike has several hours on it and my son wasn't riding it very hard.

First it's likely the spokes weren't quite tight enough from the factory.

Also, the TTR's spokes are wimpy weeny little things.

It is rare to have only one or two spokes loosen.

In a perfectly laced spoke wheel, all the spokes have identidal tension on them.

Each spoke is having a tug-of-war with a spoke on the opposite side of the hub.

The first couple of hours riding will loosen the spokes as the wheel breaks-in.

If one spoke becomes too loose, the load it carries is transfered to its neighboring

spokes, overloading them and causing them to stretch. Once a few spokes on one side

of the wheel are loose then the spokes opposite them have nothing to pull against

and they become loose also. By the time you notice a problem you've got a dozen loose

or broken spokes.

Someone suggested replacing all the spokes. Not a bad idea.

Whatever you do, after the wheel is repaired check the spoke tension after riding

for the first couple of rides. Just grab a small wrench or screwdriver and tap

each spoke. The tensioned spokes will make a "ting" ringing sound. The loose ones

will make a sort of "thukk".

• Like 1

First it's likely the spokes weren't quite tight enough from the factory.

Also, the TTR's spokes are wimpy weeny little things.

It is rare to have only one or two spokes loosen.

In a perfectly laced spoke wheel, all the spokes have identidal tension on them.

Each spoke is having a tug-of-war with a spoke on the opposite side of the hub.

The first couple of hours riding will loosen the spokes as the wheel breaks-in.

If one spoke becomes too loose, the load it carries is transfered to its neighboring

spokes, overloading them and causing them to stretch. Once a few spokes on one side

of the wheel are loose then the spokes opposite them have nothing to pull against

and they become loose also. By the time you notice a problem you've got a dozen loose

or broken spokes.

Someone suggested replacing all the spokes. Not a bad idea.

Whatever you do, after the wheel is repaired check the spoke tension after riding

for the first couple of rides.

Well said ProCycle...

JR :cry:

I have used locktite or Spoke Prep "basically the same thing" on every wheel that I have built bicycle or Moto. I use the blue type and all you have to do is use Triflow "which you can get from any bicycle shop" which will make the locktite loose again so you can adjust it.

If you don't use anything on the threads the nipples will work their way off leading to the loosening of the wheel.

I don't know it has worked for me! :cry:

i have an 01 ttr 125l and i never had a probllem with the spokes nor the other oners my freind also has a ttr 125 and he hasent had any problems do i dont know mabey u just got a crapy tire :cry: