Sign in to follow this  

DRZ vs KDX

I have an 02' S model that I picked up last year for dualsporting and backroads. Overall I'm happy with it and am now considering turning it into my doitall bike. I also have an 02' KDX 220 that I ride the trails with and enjoy because it's lightweight, flickable and has good power. I'm thinking of selling the KDX and plowing some $$$ into the DRZ to make it a better dirtbike.

the bike is already jetted, has the appropriate armor, steering damper, and has shed most of the easy weight.

#1 will be to go through the suspension, springs, gold valves.

#2 new exhaust, need input on best system that meets 96dba??

#3 maybe another set of wheels.

#4 ???

Any other suggestions??? :cry:

Here is a short list of ideas for ya :cry:

Here is a modest list of upgrades :cry:

'03 DR-Z400S Bought new in July; 4,810 miles and counting.

Removed

Mikuni BSR36 CV Carb

Rear pegs/reflectors/chain guard/plastic sprocket guard/seat strap/clutch switch/side stand switch/mirrors/bar end weights/rubber inserts/Death Wings/stock pegs/helmet lock and bracket/chain guard tabs/mount for stand switch/ Rear fender& taillight & signals for trail use only

Installed

WB Skid plate

Cycra Pro-bend hand guards with T-clamp mount

Unabiker Rad guards

CFC Case Guards

CFC Lower Fork Protectors

KTM style Fork Guards

Answer Pro Taper bars

Magura Hydraulic clutch

Scotts Damper

BRP triple clamp (upper)

TAG Matrix (lower)

Race Tech Gold valves and RT valve stack Front and rear.

.48kg Race Tech springs

Kouba DRZ1 lowering link

E Base gasket

Hot Cams Intake & Ex cams

13.5 CR Wiseco piston

Yosh 11K CDI

Megacycles Ti valve spring kit

3x3 air box mod

FCR, JD kitted, blue clip 4, 200 main air, 3/4 PAS, 38 pilot, 150 main, No CE

IMS 3.2 clear tank

Cycra Oversize shrouds

Muzzy Exhaust

No Toil Air filters

PC Pro Seal

Scotts SS oil filter

BD extended shifter (must have item for size 11 or larger boot) NOTE: Mostly have gone back to the stock shifter

Brake snake

Moose SS Brake line

Suzuki Gel Low seat

RK X ring chain & 14/49 gears

IMS Pro pegs

Modified rear fender, taillight, signals, plate mount and wiring harness for easy removal for track & trail only days.

M12 90/90/21

S12 140/80/18

Moose Heavy duty tubes

Beadlock on rear tire

Thanks for the list. How do you like the Muzzy exhaust? Any idea how it compares to the Yosh or Big Gun?? My 2 goals for the exhaust are 96 dba or less and light weight. A little extra power would be nice too. :cry:

The muzzy exhaust has excellent fit and finish, is built by a leader in 4 stroke exhaust systems, is dimensionally very, very close to a copy of the Yosh SS systems. Never had it sound tested :cry: But when comparing it to other bikes that have been. I believe it will pass 96db,, and Muzzy also claims it will. :cry:

Bronco, we can solve this question easily enough. I have a hand held decibel meter we can set up. Only thing would be the tach for true rpm, don't think the sun works with single cylinders :cry:

Here is a modest list of upgrades :cry:

Removed

/clutch switch/

Are there instructions on disabling the clutch switch here on this board? I find this 'safety feature' as most saftey items asinine. TIA.

am not a DRZ guy and really never thought the 's' was worth having, Thought if I wanted a 400 it would have to be 30 pound lighter then the "e'......I road Woody's bike (DRZ400s) way back before all the goodies he has added; and as things go as I got off the bike he asked how I liked it and what I thought. And like most times you just get off the bike shake your head and say nice.....But, now down the road with all the goodies I have to say....without a daut this is the nicest DRZ I have ever riden. It is a DRZ400s that he has added the pumper carburetor, cam, full exauhst and such but, left the stock heavier fly wheel. I have riden a lot of "E" modles and they are not as smooth and pull as even as this bike. I think you'd have to call his a DRZ400es :cry: It wasn't over powed by any means but, you could keep it at break neck speed through the chop and clutter of the slippier the snot decomposed granite and not get beat up like the Stock "E's" I have riden. Nice suspension and the Even power to get you there without the power dying out on the low end of the rpm and steddiely pulling in the high rpm's ....over all a real nice trail bike.

am not a DRZ guy and really never thought the 's' was worth having, Thought if I wanted a 400 it would have to be 30 pound lighter then the "e'......I road Woody's bike (DRZ400s) way back before all the goodies he has added; and as things go as I got off the bike he asked how I liked it and what I thought. And like most time you just get off the bike shake your head and say nice.....But, now down the road with all the goodies I have to say....without a daut this is the nicest DRZ I have ever riden. It is a DRZ400s that he has added the pumper carburetor, cam, full exauhst and such but, left the stock heavier fly wheel. I have riden a lot of "E" modles and they are not as smooth and pull as even as this bike. I think you'd have to call his a DRZ400es :cry: It wasn't over powed by any means but, you could keep it at break neck speed through the chop and clutter of the slippier the snot decomposed granite and not get beat up like the Stock "E's" I have riden. Nice suspension and the Even power to get you there without the power dying out on the low end of the rpm and steddiely pulling in the high rpm's ....over all a real nice trail bike.

E and S,, ... no difference in flywheel.. Different carb, different cams.... and base gasket.. but crank is the same. So a S, with E base gasket, cams, pipe and carb,,, is the same or better then a stock E.. If you like the E, an S can be made to run the same.. If you like the S, with the few add on motor parts,, an E is the same deal.

I have riden a lot of stock "E's" and I am telling you woody's is better! Now he does have a nice suspension done right and a more open exhaust (which should have taken from the bottom end) but, it was a more even power jetted close to right on....(I thought he should go with a 40 pilot). It is just a nice bike compared to what he had when I first met him and thought I would share my $.02 with some of his friends on this/his group of choice. I figured the street DRZ might have had a heavier fly wheel like most street bikes....guess not....bottom line nice bike and better then a stock "E"! Didn't mean for a Honda guy to come over and start anything.... :cry:

I have riden a lot of stock "E's" and I am telling you woody's is better! Now he does have a nice suspension done right and a more open exhaust (which should have taken from the bottom end) but, it was a more even power jetted close to right on....(I thought he should go with a 40 pilot). It is just a nice bike compared to what he had when I first met him and thought I would share my $.02 with some of his friends on this/his group of choice. I figured the street DRZ might have had a heavier fly wheel like most street bikes....guess not....bottom line nice bike and better then a stock "E"! Didn't mean for a Honda guy to come over and start anything.... :cry:

Dude,, guess it was my "internet tone" :cry: But I did not take what ya said as starting anything :cry:

I agree, a nicely set up S is a great bike,, I know.. I built one :cry:

But the flywheel comment was off, so I replied....thats all :cry:

Same here...no Internet tone just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was coming over getting something stirred up...Just nice words....Like woody says' I got issues :cry: