new to me 1979 XR250

I just acquired a 1979 XR250. It had been sitting under a tree in my buddy's yard for 4 years. He ran it a couple times two years ago. He bought it from a neighbor who moved away. The license plate expired in 1988.

Anywho, I trucked it home and it is now in various states of (dis)repair. I could use a good resource for working with old bikes like this--we're talking cable actuated drum brakes and dual spring rear shocks.

The tank is clean, and the carb is actually really clean inside, too. The front drum shoes and the drum cylinder look good. I pulled the forks. They actually have smooth action and do not appear to leak around the seals. I kicked it a time or two and it seems to be getting electric, as the headlight glowed on. Need to pull the plug and check for spark.

I need a new front brake lever and cable. Where do I go for something like that? Even my damn mountain bike has hydraulic disc brakes at this point.

Here's a pic: 79xr250.jpg

Unfortunately, it did not come with the team of Hee Haw extras to help me get it sorted. I do have it resting on a milk crate though.

Any resources, pointers or advice is appreciated.

-Doug in Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

You have three options...

1) Try Motion Pro . They are good at cross-referencing.

2) Take the originals to a good bike shop and have new ones made.

3) Find a dealer that's been around a while and ask them to 'locate' the parts you need. My local shop does this for me a lot. They have found several discontinued parts for me that way.

Thanks Bultaco!

Motion Pro is out of stock of the front, but will have more in another month. They have no plans to manufacture the rear any longer. I was able to force about a quart of wd40 and oil down my rear cable last night and now it feels acceptable. There's a used front on ebay I can get and make due with until Motion Pro comes back on line.

My local honda guy was able to find shoes for me.

• 3 weeks later...

It's alive!

Got it running yesterday. That first start up was tough, but once hot, it started first kick every time.

To say that it accelerates is an overstatement, but it was able to drag me around some dirt roads and single track yesterday before the snow hit heavy.

Some pics:

xr2501.jpg

xr2503.jpg

xr2504.jpg

The seat says "rat bike" but the rest of it screams "vintage". I guess I'll spring the $35 for the seat cover, now that I know it runs.

Needs heavier springs in the forks. Works, Progressive and Racetech don't make 'em. Any ideas?

The first of the XRs, in fact.

Okay, Progressive does make a spring for the '79 XR500, which has forks identical to the xr250. $79. Or, I have a line on a set of '79 CR125 forks for $100. Bit different than the XR design, but will bolt right on.

What say you?

Stay with the XR forks. Buy the Progressive XR500 springs. Use the shims that come with the springs to shim them for your weight. Keep the seals 'booted' and change the fork oil and they will last darn near forever. The CR forks of that era are hard to get 'right' and can be harsh. Unless you are going to vintage-MX every weekend, you really don't need them. Save your money.

That said, I vintage-MX my '82 XR250 and run the stock forks with XR500 springs. They work great. ?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to try to replace the stock exhaust with one that breaths a little more freely. Keep in mind that the OEM system on this puppy includes a big collection box just past where it meets the header, then a thin rectangular profile section that leads into the silencer. I expect to require a muffler guy to get this done.

My question is, what qualities should I look for in an exhaust? I'm thinking 4 stroke of comparable displacement, but does it make any difference?

Anyone have an old exhaust they want to sell me on the cheap?