Sign in to follow this  

KLR 650 Hot on me leg. ?

My '03 killer is hot on the leg but not on the gage? IS this typical of KLR's?

If not does anyone have any suggestions?

My 01' feels hot too. Temp. gauge is in the middle in slow traffic and will quickly click the fan on soon after I stop in these conidtions. I get lots of heat off the motor. Too much? Were does your temp. ga. read most of the time?

It reads straight up the middle. Looks fine. The only time it's been in the hot was in Copper Canyon red-lining most of the time. Just riding to work it's hot on the leg. ????

Anyone else notice hot leg?

Please comment.

Same problem with my KLX650R.. I usually try to stand up most of the time and that seems to help. But on the street I could see where that wouldn't be so practical.

Ya the only time I stand up is on the dirt or riding on the back tire down the street. That cools my leg but not the motor. Any other KLR riders experience this or are our KLR pumping out too much heat?

Nope, not running too hot. Typical leg cooking KLR and not much that I know of that you can do about it.

Sounds normal. You can turn out the idle mixture screw a bit to richen it up at idle and low RPM. This will make it heat up more slowly, and possibly not get as hot. Has all the tradeoffs of richer mixture that you'd expect.

Besides that, don't ride with your knees against the fuel tank (which sucks because the bike corners really well when you sit forward like that).

Also, you can rig a manual fan switch- just leave the fan on all the time in heavy traffic. I didn't bother with this since I think the hot leg is a minor nuisance.

Devon

the heat is coming from the exhaust header (I used to own a KLR650 and the KLX650 is very similar in this regard).

I wonder if wrapping the header with insulation would lessen the heat somewhat (or a lot?)

Hey fellas, new to this forum, old school to the KLR. Ignore the temp gauge. Your KLR is not hot untill it's puking coolant. Per many tests, KLr temp gauges vary widely when all tested one one individual bike. Now, thats not to say if your needle stays pegged at hot most of the time you shouldnt look things over.

Tres

THANK yooooou. Sounds like just waht the doctor ordered. Going to Baja. Don't need it any hotter than it is. Your the man Kawboy.