Sign in to follow this  

Pre Race Meals

I'm curious what the group eats for dinner the night before and for the race day breakfast...

I'm a newbie on dirt bikes but I've been mountain biking for a few years, and I like to have a nice pasta dish for dinner before a big ride, in addition to plenty of water. Plenty of carbs to fuel those muscles and water to keep you hydrated. As for breakfast, I like oatmeal, a bagel with cream cheese, and 2 or 3 bananas. The potassium in the bananas helps prevent muscle cramps. That's my meal plan. I'm sure there are many other schools of thought on this.

Ted,

You and I are pretty close on mealplans. When I'm Harescrambling I camp out the night before, and eat a microwaveable pasta/meat/veg cassarolle(sp?) The race morning breakfast is usually a bagel and fruit. I can't eat too much as I race in the morning.

I don't have a problem with cramping, but I often get a hungry feeling while riding, and a general tired feeling.

for mtn biking, i found it important to eat pretty lightly. if you aren't carbed up by the night before, you won't get that way by gorging yourself. all you'll do is feel heavy and bloated. same for breakfast, something light and easy to digest. i probaby did 300-400 bicycle races in the 90's, and always had my best form when i ate light meals.

for enduros, that's a whole different thing. the night before, 8-12 beers (sierra nevada or similar real beer, not some watered down crappy canned domestic pi$$) and a pizza works well for me. for breakfast, a mcd's egg mcmuffin meal (or breakfast jack meal) with a spare sammitch to stick in my backpack for lunch. yum.

funny, after racing bicycles on and off-road for 15 years, it doesn't seem to matter what i eat on the motorcycle. just a different level of exertion i guess.

mw

I don't race mountain bikes, but my weekend rides are usually 4 to 6 hours with a bunch of climbing and technical singletrack (I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I rode a 9 hour loop at Henry Coe State Park last summer). I don't gorge myself, but I eat enough to feel full. I always put Gatorade in my Camelback too, then take some Clif Bars to eat on the trail if I get hungry or feel a bonk coming on.

I don't race mountain bikes, but my weekend rides are usually 4 to 6 hours with a bunch of climbing and technical singletrack (I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I rode a 9 hour loop at Henry Coe State Park last summer). I don't gorge myself, but I eat enough to feel full. I always put Gatorade in my Camelback too, then take some Clif Bars to eat on the trail if I get hungry or feel a bonk coming on.

my non-racing meals for bicycling are more like my dirtbiking meals, since my fun-mtn-biking level of exertion and length of exertion are closer to spirited dirtbiking than to bicycle racing. i typically have the biggest breakfast i can possibly stuff in my stomach so i don't have to carry so much food, and i start off at a reasonable (for me) pace. i don't have the option of a reasonable pace at any time during a bicycle race, and these days most races are only 2 hrs or less.

Night before, PIZZA or Pasta. The morning of the race usually plenty of fluids up to about an hour before race , yogurt, bagel with strawberry creamcheese.

about a 1/2 hr before race I drink a slimfast for extra energy as I a bit hypoglycemic.

Maybe a slimfast at a bit over the halfway point of an long enduro.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Ditto on the pasta the night before, not alot, just enough. Helps me sleep too for some reason. Breakfast is usually a small chocolate milk and half a bagle or a piece of toast, no butter or gooey oily stuff on it. You have to hydrate well all the time. I like gatoraide too. One race we had eggs, bacon, ham, hash browns, oj, donuts....I about puked my guts out and rode really really bad.