Sign in to follow this  

Breaking in a new bike??

Ok, so I know I am a newbie, but I am learning fast about my new '03 DRZS. It is a great bike and I love it to death. It is my baby. But I have a question for the pros out here. I am have done all the looking and the searching in the past posts and can't find an answer. The owners manual say that we should not use more than half throttle for the first 500 miles and then only use 3/4 throttle till 1000 miles. Is this a bunch of bull, or should I heed this instruction. I have heard many opinions and that is all they are, just opinions. I have heard that you should ride it how you will ride it in the future, and then some say take it easy. What should I do? Thanks

Also does anyone know about HMF pipes. A talked to quad racer the other day and he said that he swears by them only for four-strokes. Anyone know about these cheap pipes? Thanks again in advance.

one more thing, change oil and filter after your first 20 to 30 miles, then agian at 200 miles, get all of the loose stuff out and at about 500 miles you will be ready for full synthetic, sylkolene pro 4 15-50. be sure to get some CFC case covers and the ever popular unibiker radiator guards. :cry:

I have broken in engines for cars, bikes and boats. All were broken in hard and fast on an old timers recommendation. Some of the car engines were for circle track racing and many of the others have been torn down some time after break in. None suffered any damage except for the 350 with the broken throttle return spring :cry:, and that was just two bent pushrods after registering off my Sun tach/dwell :cry:. My klx has just been torn down and it was broken in perfect, the rings seated and there was nothing to indicate any leakage, bronco made sure to look really close :cry:.