Sign in to follow this  

Posible XR200 ignition solution

After me and my friends have had multiple ignition problems with our older 200 motors (1980 - 1983), I think I found a possible solution. The problem we have found is that the stators go out and no one make an aftermarket stator. But they do make 200x stators. So just buy on ebay a 200x stator, cover, and flywheel, then you good to go. 200x stuff is pletiful on ebay, so you should be able to get them cheap. But the goodnews is you can buy an after market stator for as little as $39.95.

thanks for the info socal,

That makes me feel better, my motor is a atc200x motor converted over :cry:

Great Info socalxr! Most all of the xr200 stuff is bullit proof so I can only guess that the older ignitions are dying of "old age". I have had no problems with the later model ignitions but I am interested in where I can get the aftermarkt parts that you mention, especially at that price. Are they an upgrade or just direct replacement parts? ....Karl

That is interesting. If you have the patience, you can also rewrap the XR coil. I rewrapped the primary ignition coil in my DT1 250. If you do that though, you might as well rewrap the lighting coil as well and make it a 12 volt system, and replace the headlight with a common automotive socket.