Sign in to follow this  

Lubing the rear end of an "E" and Chain adjustment

My '01 "E" has a bunch of grease nipples all over the rear linkages. Only the two main swing-arm pivots will accept grease. I've got a crappy little grease gun, though

Do I need a higher power grease gun or do I need to back off the bolts before trying to grease them?

Also, the manual does not mention if the chain should be checked while the rear wheel is off the ground, on the side-stand, or with a rider's weight on it. Which should I do?

I loosen all the bolts to lube rear susp.

Be sure to retourqe before riding.

Use a hand gun to avoid damage.

Manual says 1.5" to 2" on stand at center between swing arm bolt and axel.

Get a manual!!

Good luck, Corky :cry::cry:

All been said before. Do not use the Zirk fittings. To get grease to where it belongs, you need to disassemble. The reason the grease will not go in, is the seals do not allow any escape for the grease. Loosening the bolts is only a partial solution. If you force it in, it pops the seals out and/or ruins the seals. When you take it apart, you will likely find the inner seals in the swing arm are already out. Best to remove the zirks and plug the holes. Then you are not tempted to use them. Replace any damaged seals or bearings.

Chain adjust is with the suspension all the way extended. Then check it with weight on the bike to make sure it is not too tight.

Get a manual!!

Thanks, I'll disassemble the rear to lube.

I have a Factory manual! Unless I'm going blind (let's not go there), it just says to adjust the chain and the specs for it. It doesn't state whether to do it on the stand, under load, or unloaded. :cry:

I use the zerks.

Your cheap gun should work if you have someone else sitting on the bike or moving it up and down as you apply pressure.

You just need a little grease in the right places.

Over greasing just makes a mess and give dirt a new place to stick.