Sign in to follow this  

TTR 225 Seeking Advice/Opinion

My son is outgrowing his TTR 125 and I was wondering how people like the TTR 225. Is this a good next step for a 5'4" 125 lb rider? He enjoys track riding and trail riding but doesn't seem to really want an MX bike and we need something legal in the woods. What do you all think about the TTR 225. Reliability? Torque? Weight?

whell, if he is still growing, i would reccomend getting a 250, because he will probably out grow the 225, it would save you some money, but the problem with that is the 250 might have too much power for him, weight wise. i would go to the yamaha store and see what the reccomend.

sounds like im to big for my ttr 125L. im 6'1" and 120lbs hauls me around with plenty of power i think. plus 5'4" that 250 sounds a lil to high and big for him you gotta think about is if he can still move the bike around like pick it up if it falls over

yeah , ive out grew my ttr125l too, but i cant get another bike cause my mom has to finish financing this one..

and yeah thats what i was thinking about the 250, but if he is a really good rider then he might be able to pull it off.

I just bought a TTR-250 a little over a month ago and love it. I am about 5'11" tall and dont have any problems touching the ground (unless there is a hill of any kind on one side or the other). I say get him the 250 and let him grow into it, plus it will save you money as well. Also with the new e-start you dont have to worry about being on a hill and starting it and such....good luck. :cry:

avoid the 225 at all costs. the 250 is actually LIGHTER than the 225 but taller. Any mx bike can be made woods legal with the addition of the spark arrestor. Personally the next logical step from the 125 is the yzf 250 if he nostly rides track. IT will not run out of power for a long time, Some people will say it is too much for him but you are the only one to decide that. Might as well do it right the first time. The wr is also very capable on the mx course and it is the ultimate woods machine. Nothing wrong with the ttr 250 except it is heavy and under powered compared to the others.

I have a XT225 which is the street legal version of the TTR225. The bikes are almost identical. I'm 5'7" weight 165lbs. I've ridden MX bikes all my life but wanted a short street legal dual sport. Off road I love my bike. I can pick it up and move the back or front around if needed and the power is good. I put a one tooth smaller sprocket on front for more low end. On the street I can do 65MPH. You didn't mention how old your son is, maturity plays a factor. Some guys want all the power they can get and others want to have a good time without hurting themselfs. not everybody is Jeremy Mcgrath. Speaking from experience, the XT225/TTR225 is a great bike.

Hey I am 5'5/35yrs old can ride the TTR250 with no problem. Trust me if your still growing and think you are really going to keep riding in the future go with a 250. I have ridden the 225 and know it wont last long

PS: The XT225 was FUN bike. I really miss it. It was a good messin around bike. I may have to get another one