Sign in to follow this  

A KLR650 buddy approves of the DR-Z after one ride

Hi all,

For quite some time a friend of mine at work has asked if he could try my DR-Z. We finally did it today; I took his KLR 650 (with only 650 km!) and he took my DR-Z.

While warming them up in the parking lot (we were parked next to each other), he mentioned that mine seemed more 'robust' but hey, he paid $2000 less than I did...

Anyway we went for a ride at lunch, drove to the Gilles Villeneuve F1 track and rode around on it.

His bike felt like my KLR250, but with more power.

About 45 minutes later (having done the track, small streets, and highway) we returned to work.

His first words were: "If I could do it again, I'd easily spend the extra $2000!"

What a compliment! Hey - What can I say, I love the bike.

Later.

TZ.

I've owned the KLR 650 and now have a DR Z. No way would I go back. If you read the spec's the KLR is only about 40 lbs (18 kg) heavier, but IMO, in the real world, it's closer to 100 lbs (45 kg) heavier and that makes a heck of a diff.

The KLR is like using a dull axe while the DR Z is like using scapel (well, amoung dual purpose bikes).

I have an E model but I truly would love the new SM Suzuki is releasing around the world. Has anybody heard if it is coming to America? Man I would so very much like to oen one. Yes it costs more but I'd go even higher with it and do a FCR and Yosh full Ti. That's a bike I know I could have fun on. I'm not saying even at 50 years of age I'll be able to hang onto my liscence but I'd sure have some fun losing it. prairiedawg :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just noticed that it uses a different swing arm as well. I wonder if it is a RM arm? Maybe it is wider to allow for bigger tires? :cry: