Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha xt350 17hp restriction

Hi everyone, I am one of the unfornate people who has a 1992 Yamaha XT350 rated at 17hp.... Anyway I was wondering what yamaha did to restrict these (jetting???). Here is some background info: yamaha xt350 86-89 were rated at 27HP, 90-93 were rated at 17hp, and 94+ were 27hp again.. my motorcycle has a smog canister evaporative thing also (would removing this help performance at all?)... It is also listed on custombike:

http://www.custombike.org/bike_yam.htm

this is what is on there page:

YAMAHA XT350

1986 on, 350cc DOHC single

30hp, 90mph, 70mpg, 265lb

Neat thumper, potential as a road bike. Runs to 45k if well serviced; cams, valves go first – some in trouble at 20k. Later models restricted to 17hp but simple to derestrict. Many ended up well knackered from off-road excesses – frame quite easy to bend. Starting can be difficult. Rear linkage and exhaust go.

Thanks in advance. :cry:

The intake manifold from the carb to the engine is restricted (Reduced inside diameter). Replace them with older models or grind it out.

I too have one of those bikes - I took the carbs off last night and the intake between the carbs and the motor and there was no restrictions in there....Boycelaforest, what did you find out at the dealer.

Asked the dealership, and they said there is a throttle stop on the carbs, I look at my carbs and there is a max throttle stop screw, but it is already allowing the throttle to pull to 100%. I dont know yet, going to talk to a guy that owns a motorcycle repair shop and have him take a look at it.

what did you find out about the restriction I have a 94 xt, just bought it and seems to run, start, ride good any reviews or info is apreciated :cry:

I have a 94 also, it is a great bike, the suspension is soft compared to my friends 97 honda xr250, but I can keep up with them on the trails and hill climbs. This bike has great torque! If you get a good set of knobbies there is nothing that it wont climb. I have just got used to mine and feel comfortable with throwing it around, it runs great and seems pretty much bulletproof, fun bikes!

Maybe I am not reading this right, but it seems nobody came up with a way to derestrict these bikes... Help! CJ

I'd like to know too. I just started commuting with my 1992, and the freeway parts of my mixed commute are a little tough. Can't even hit 60mph without a tailwind. Fairly sure it's not a malfunction. The bike runs great. Just runs out of steam at highway speed limits.

This is interesting. I have a 1986 Yamaha XT350 and I have never once had a problem getting my bike to 60mph on the highway. Infact I can run her at 90mph right on 8500rpms. I also have the 18 tooth sprocket in the front. I have removed the baffle also. The bike runs pretty strong. Find those restricters and get rid of em cause when you open this bike up shes a low end torque monster. Atleast the newer ones are a little less ugly. I can't stand the red and white.

I'd like to know too. I just started commuting with my 1992, and the freeway parts of my mixed commute are a little tough. Can't even hit 60mph without a tailwind. Fairly sure it's not a malfunction. The bike runs great. Just runs out of steam at highway speed limits.

I've had my dad's all-stock 92 XT350 at about 80 before with plenty left in it. I didn't go any faster because I wasn't supposed to be on the road and because the wind was beating me to death. I recommend taking te baffle out of the muffler. One screw and it comes out. I did have the baffle in when I hit 80. Also I'm not sure about the 90-93s only having 17 horsepower. In a drag race my dad on his XT350 (probably almost 500 pounds combined) can beat me on my KX100 (about 300 pounds). My KX probably has about 20-23 horsepower. It would take a considerable amount of more horsepower for my dad to beat me. And I'm actually a little bit better of a rider, so it wasn't me that was the problem.