Sign in to follow this  

Valve clearance bigger

Why would the valve lash clearance get larger? :cry:

Typically we are dealing with tight valve clearances (or lack there of) in the new 4 strokes. One of my valves actually increased in clearence by about 0.004". The cam and rocker assy visually are fine, the shim measures as it is suppose to, there in no play in the cam bearing or any thing else unusual I can see. The engine runs strong...

MSTex

Why would the valve lash clearance get larger? :cry:

Typically we are dealing with tight valve clearances (or lack there of) in the new 4 strokes. One of my valves actually increased in clearence by about 0.004". The cam and rocker assy visually are fine, the shim measures as it is suppose to, there in no play in the cam bearing or any thing else unusual I can see. The engine runs strong...

MSTex

Carbon buildup between the valve and the valve seat? Strange. I remember in another thread that someone had a valve clearence increase rather than decrease.

ktl...

Just a thought, but the lifter/rocker to valve contact spots are wearing faster than the CAM journals....hence, increased gap. The cam journals (where the rocker rides) are always in contact with the rocker, while the valve/lifter/rocker end of things is not in constant contact and the repetitive impact (although only at 1/2 or 1/4 speed) of the RPMs of the engine, wears those parts down quicker, increasing the gap..as well as the minor wear on the cam journal causing the rocker to actually become shorter (depending on how you look at it) on the cam end..

Any questions? :cry:

And just that little bit of wear, while not necessarily a bad thing, occurs from the engine "breaking-in". It's nothing to get excited about now....