Sign in to follow this  

Elsinore Grand Prix ??

It was the most fun I have ever had racing in my life. 2001

Would love to go back but 2,000 miles seperate me and that race.

That's very GOOD to here as I've already pre-registerd with a few of my buddies!!!

I'm pritty new to dirt riding and my only goal's are to have fun and finish... in that order...

Is there any thing I shoud have beside's my basic riding gear and a full tank???

Thank's for your time "15"

new tires are a must. Theres also alot of street riding so the tire wears out pretty fast. depending on what race your entered in, early morning is a little chilly. The line to get in and register is a madhouse, show up early. BRING TEAR- OFFS!!! My first lap of the first race, I got a face and chest full of four stroke applied mud. I diddnt have tear offs and wiping the goggles made it worse. I ended up putting my goggles around my neck and racing blind. full tank of gas, loc-tite every bolt on your bike,(youll be surprised what comes off!) dont wear the rediculous pie plate chest numbers they issue you. It ends up riding up to your neck and choking you. Oh yea, smile and bust big at the table top. thats where the photographer takes your picture every year. :cry:

Thank's for the 411 !!!! I've never used tear off's so that should be intersting:) I've been watching "On any sunday" quite a bit lately and figuered I might need them though. I just bought the dvd a few week's ago at Malcom Smith's shop, and as Malcom him self happened to be there I got it autographed... VERY COOOL!!!! He's a VERY nice guy:)

Also,

I pre- registered. Will I be sent any info such as my race # so I can get them in advance or do I need to buy a bunch of #'s and take my reciet to the registration booth on race day?

P.S. My friends and I are entered in the 4 stroke beginers class wich starts at 8am Sun.

Thanks again:)

you are designated a number at sign up. They dont go by your numbers on your bike. They give you 3 square pieces of paper with your number on them to duct tape to your number background. You also get this little paper vest with your race number on it. The 8am ride is going to be a cold one. Dont ride with a jacket on though, you'll burn up by lap 2. Tear offs are a must, dont learn the hard way. Practice with them before you use them to get used to not tearing all of them off at once. I am really excited! There are not many things more beautiful than rubbing elbows with 50 or so of your riding brothers thru the streets of a major town on a crisp morning. You will not regret it. Things to look out for though, after you start down the main street of the city and make a left on the dirt shoulder, watch out for the 5 foot sudden drop off at the end of the shoulder. You make a hard left onto a small residential asphalt road(that is usually wet from dew or a rain)and dropping down from a 5 foot muddy embankment has claimed its share of unsuspecting bikers. The other is the transition from the muddy ravine after the tabletop. You ride diagonally from the muddy embankment to the city street and after a lap or two, the dirt roosts away from the curb leaving a concrete lip about a foot tall. This is a bit tricky to hit at 50mph diagonally. It snaps the front tire out from under you and takes some getting used to. If its not too wet, they open the switchback road travelling over the 15 freeway. You go out over the freeway, make a hard left u-turn, then race back to the foothills. Dont get into a drag race with the guys chasing you and over brake on the wet street. Lowsiding into a haybale really sucks! When you get on the mountain top fire roads, you might be tempted to rail the outside lip of the fire roads like the pros are doing when they pass you at 90. Dont do it. You might catch a rock wrong and be spit over your handlebars and 20 feet down the side of the cliff. climbing back up is harder than you think. When you come out of the mountains and head towards the main street and finish line, there are several large plastic barricades set up in a chicane to slow you down. Try to fight the urge to race up to them at the last second locking up your front brake and sending you and your bike into another lowside slide into them.(funny, a 250 pound bike sliding into a dozen plastic barricades at 20+ mph sounds alot like bowling pins.)FINALLY! be careful making the slick left turn onto main street and loft your victory wheelie high in front of all of the manufacturers rigs and rows of screaming fans. You will never NOT race this GP again. once you do it, your hooked for life. :cry:

Oh yea, to answer your question, they dont mail you anything. you gotta wait in line just like everyone else, you just go to a different table. get there early. if your race is at 8am, be there at 6am. find a place to park and secure your spot in line. also, watch the race on saturday, get a feel for the track. most of the track is visible and accessible via back roads. I'd suggest paying the additional $50. and racing the unclassified race on Saturday morning. That will give you a chance to get familiar with the track layout at your own pace before you wick it up to race speed with your buddies.(dont lie! you know your gonna.)

5 foot drop off, Table top, muddy diaginal ravine withe a 1 foot curb...

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What have I gotten my self into? (LOL!)

Thanks for the awsome head's up :cry:

I expect to win an award for being the only guy to ride "flat" across the table top! (Im a terrable jumper)

And look were you want to go, not at what you dont want to hit!!!

Word's to live by... :cry:

Thank's for the reply :cry: