Sign in to follow this  

Taneum tips

will be heading out to the Taneum area and it's my first time. Was wondering about where the best place to camp with a camper/trailer rig? looks like the Taneum Junction CG is the best equipped to handle trailer rigs..

also, what about trails? this is a family event and there will be some younger riders etc.

Any good tips on some easier trails? are the trails marked as to their difficulty (like over in Naches basin area).. and lastly, do they have trail maps available at the parking/camping areas?

sorry bout all the questions..

thanks in advance

-rob

When are you planning on going? Next weekend is the opening of General Deer Season and the place gets pretty crowded with hunters. The rest of the month will be packed with elk hunters and then November it is usually too cold and snowy for any good riding. However, this weekend, should be pretty good.

Maps can be obtained at the Cle Elum Ranger District office for $4. They are pretty good maps. They are open til 4:30 on weekdays and 1 or 2pm on saturday.

Taneum Junction is a good dispersed camping area. Has lots of room, a few fire rings, pit toilet. There are 3 trails that leave from Taneum Junction (Gooseberry Flats, Taneum Ridge 1363 and N. Fork Taneum 1377). Sorry, I'm trying to this from memory, I don't have a map in front of me.... There aren't really any kids riding areas at Taneum Jct. Kids can rip up and down the parking lot, but that gets old real quick and pisses off other campers.

Icewater Creek Campground is a USFS campground about 3 miles BEFORE you get to Taneum Jct. It is a fee campground during the summer, but that usually ends after Labor Day. The campground is open, but there are no services (garbage removal). The campground has about 12 spots, most are pretty small (trailer to 20ft). A few spots could handle something 30 ft or so, but go quickly. Icewater creek is a nice campground right next to Taneum Creek. The creek is a bubbling creek that sounds really neat at night. There is a bridge across the creek and an excellent learner loop where kids can ride all day long and not bother anyone. The only trail out of Icewater is N. Fork Taneum 1377, and this will tie into Taneum Jct just 2 miles away.

Another campground is South Fork Meadows, it is pretty small and is usually visited by horseriders. The road into the campground is very rough.

The trails are rated easy, more difficult and most difficult. I think 1363 is easy, 1377 is more difficult and gooseberry flat is easy. Most trails are "more" difficult. However many of the sections are easy, then come upon a creek crossing that might be rocky or tricky to negotiate.

I started riding here when I was 10 on an XR80 and have loved it ever since. The S. Fork Taneum trail is one of my favorites with lots of creek crossings. However it can be really difficult sometimes.

A good route is to head out on the Taneum Ridge Trail 1363 to Fishhook Flats and then make your way to Frost Mountain. Excellent views from Frost Mountain. I used to do this ride as a kid. (again, this was from memory, I might have a few trail numbers mixed up).

Good luck and hope you have fun.

I am not sure if these are the seasons you are referencing but general deer season opens the 16th of October and the general elk season opens the 30th of October.

Rob,

If it's this weekend you are talking about, have you given any thought to Eddieville in Goldendale? Check here for info: www.overthebarsgang.com (except it seems their website is down right now...)

It's a great place for the family to ride, you would definitely enjoy it. The camping is not as great though...

i stopped by the ranger station (near safeway) yesterday for non-riding info. they now have little brochures with the maps. they are free and they are outside the station, so you can get them after hours. they aren't as detailed as the $4 ones, but they work. this brochure has difficulty ratings, which the $4 don't. the south fork trail gets a moderate rating, which i thought was funny. it starts out moderate and ends moderate, but in between you should have your trials bike. ok, maybe not - I did it early in the year when the creeks were raging - the creek exits either had man eating ruts or a plethora of roots in every direction. i've been told it is much easier when it dries out. I think you are pretty safe if you go out 1377 (definetly the easiest). It's relatively flat and the creek crossings are minor or they have bridges. The one rowdy crossing has been redirected with a bridge. As it nears the Taneum shelter, 14-16 miles?, there are more roots, but it is still moderate. the trail never gets sketchy and you can turn around anytime. you might not want to go past the shelter with beginners, although i've seen them there before. if the kids are young, you might want to take a quick run on it before taking them on it. also, the frost mtn trail has probably degraded since mike rode it. it has alot of big loose rocks that kids might not like.

This site rocks! Great info!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Thanks for the correction on the hunting seasons. I'm suffering from CRS....

I will agree that Goldendale is an excellent place for the whole family to ride. Wish it wasn't so darn far away. But take the trailer and make a trip out of it. It is worth it riding for 2 days.