Sign in to follow this  

White plastic washer in carb

This is on a 2002 TTR125 - I disassembled and cleaned my carb in my garage the other day - I was putting it back togeather last night and cant find that white plastic washer thingy that went in the bottom of the carb. Do I really have to have that thing? I have no idea what it is for.

Supposedly, that is there to keep the pick up from sucking air when the fuel in the float bowl starts sloshing around. Rumor has it, that thing helps to keep the pickup submerged in fuel. Never tried to run without it though... :cry:

You need and want the spacer on the needle. The spacer "fattens" the fuel mixture which makes your bike start easier and have more power. In fact, there is a process for adding another washer to the needle to make the XT225 start better and have more power. My experienced guess is that the carbs for the bikes are similiar. The process for the XT225 mod is at http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/#hardstart . I've done the mod to my XT225 and have pics for anybody interested.

I think he's talking about the one that's around the main jet.

Img_2312.jpg

I would think it would run ok without it, but as mentioned it helps to make sure the main jet doesn't catch any air bubbles. I think if it were me I'd just try it without it and if its ok then I'd just put it back next time I was inside the carb.

i actually just forgot to put mine in after swapping out the 105 main for a 112.5 and it seems to run just fine. i couldnt believe how much of a difference the jets made! :cry:

In the past, when I first got a dirtbike, I thought that it was somekind of a restrictor. Nope, it's supposed to be there for the reasons given above. I put it back in. I did run it for a while without it, and saw no real difference; but, I prefer having it in for good measure.