Sign in to follow this  

OH NO! Semics Tape Broken!

Does anyone know how to fix a VHS cassette when the tape snapped off the clear part that holds the end of the roll? I was rewinding my #3 tape and it went snap! slap slap slap. I ejected it, and found the tape to be broken and mangled on the rewound end. Does anyone know how to repair the tape without buying another? Would scotch tape work? I have only watched this video about 100 times! :cry:

I have only watched this video about 100 times!

Sounds like my tapes. You might be able to get a VHS repair kit at Radio Shack or something. The hard part for me was getting the plastic case apart and back together. Seems like when I tried it, it took me forever to figure out which hidden tabs to push... I wonder if HowStuffWorks has good directions... :cry:

Hmmm.... I just tried google and HowStuffWorks, and not much help unfortunately. There are VHS repair services, but they charge as much as Gary's tape. BTW, you know that Gary's VHS tapes are 50% off right now, right? Anyway, here's the too-basic info at HowStuffWorks:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/vcr1.htm

I'll just pick up another one. By the time I can salvage the remaining part, it's 1/4 though the tape. :cry: Thanks for the advice! Maybe I shouldn't use an emerson VCR for those from now on :cry: