Sign in to follow this  

Sticker shock

I am building a wheel. Going well and keeping it cheap till today. I was just told in needed 75 bucks to get the bolts to attach my sprocket and my disc. Is that right? C'mon :cry: They must love selling bolts and nuts. Is there a kit that is resonably priced? Anyone know of a sproket or disc that comes with the bolts and nuts required to mount it to the hub? I have looked at servicehonda.com and they are a lot more reasonable than the dealer. Any other advice? Anyone out there built a wheel from scratch that has anyideas?

Try checking one of the bigger hardware stores. They might have something that will work for you and you can prolly get all the bolts and nutz for under 10 dollars.

I am building a wheel. Going well and keeping it cheap till today. I was just told in needed 75 bucks to get the bolts to attach my sprocket and my disc. Is that right? C'mon :cry: They must love selling bolts and nuts. Is there a kit that is resonably priced? Anyone know of a sproket or disc that comes with the bolts and nuts required to mount it to the hub? I have looked at servicehonda.com and they are a lot more reasonable than the dealer. Any other advice? Anyone out there built a wheel from scratch that has anyideas?

for that much you could get Titanium bolt kits from Mettec for the sprocket and rotor.

A month ago, I bought on ebay a aftermarket kit for mounting a sprocket for $12.50. I agree with above for the disc bolts = find an industrial hardware store. Of course, you friendly Honda dealer will be redicules. Often, I go down to the local motorcycle junk yard with a couple wrenches and fill a cup with 6mm,8mm bolts and give them a buck! :cry:

I just went through the build a wheel deal. Buy only the bolts for the sprocket side from Honda. These have a tapered shank which the bolts require to fit correct. Purchase the disc nuts and bolts from a hardware store or like Home Depot. - I believe the disc are just a quarter inch shank, I used grade 8 with nylon locking nuts. The sprocket washers and nuts can also be purchased at Home Depot. i also used nylon locking nuts. I purchased extra sprocket nuts for changing gearing I don't take chances whith re using the used nylon locking nuts.

I have bought bolts from a local bolt and nut supplier in my town. They usually have grade 10.9 bolts available for pennies . Often times they dont even bother to charge me because the cost is so low.

The guys laugh when you ask for high quality, grade 8's. They said..."I thought you wanted high quality???"

I suspect grade 8 is higher quality than we have had in years past, but nothing special.

I have not had much luck finding sproket bolts. The taper and style is tough to match. Still, for what they are trying to charge you, titanium woudl be an option.

FYI: I just got a sprocket set of bolts and nuts from TEKBOLT.COM. The guy there was very nice and helpful. Sprocket set was 9.95. Had to pay shipping but still came out 20 bucks ahead of servicehonda.com, but I still need the disc bolts. I think I will take your advice and match one from a hardware store. Thanks for the advice everyone. :cry: