Sign in to follow this  

What am I doing wrong?

I'm attempting to change my rear sprocket out. Nuts seem to be cheaply made and are rounding. &%$#@!. Should I take the rotor off first to get a better angle or what?

What do you guys do? I'm using a metric socket and a universal too. ?????? :cry:

Thanks

Paul

Depending on the type of bike, I highly recommend a box-end combination wrench on the backup nuts......

And of course...Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey...

Good luck bro. I gave up and paid the Monkey's $20 to change mine out...after I rounded them ALL off :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol::cry:

Must use a good fitting wrench of socket, 6 point, or flank drive. Shock load via air impact works best,, but a good wrench, and a smack with a dead blow hammer works also,, Of course you have to hols the fastener in place with a hex key on the front side.

You have to use a 12mm box wrench. You can not reach the nuts with a socket. Some are behind spokes. If the nuts are already bad find, a 6 point box wrench. I find a soft hammer on the wrench helps to loosen the nuts without gouging my hands on the sprocket.

Happens to a lot of people. I rounded one off and eventually had to give it some special treatment. I don't remember what finally worked. I know one was trashed when I got done. I think I replaced the sprocket nuts with better ones that were harder.

Keep after it. I used penet. oil, a hammer to tap at it and finally big channel locks.

Quality tools, six point only and alittle patience?. Most stock hardware is abit cheap!!. But, with the correct tools you shoud'nt have any trouble. I hope you'll take the time and expense to replace the used up hardware with some good aircraft or grade 8 stuff. :cry:

Glad to hear it's not just me. I'll get some box end wrenches and give those a try. Do I have to get replacement nuts from the stealer or can I get them at any hardware store?

Thanks everyone. :cry:

I ended up drilling mine out ! and replaced with good bolts and nuts they should be replaced everytime you take your sprocket off.

Hardware store nuts and washers will work but they will probaly not be the same hex size or have the washer face. I would buy OEM parts.

Ralph,

Aren't the OEM ones the garbage ones that I'm screwing up now? Doesn't someone make heavier duty hardware?

Thanks

try to replace the nut with better stuff, not the hex bolt, IMHO.

Eddie,

I know my wrenches aren't that bad. They've gotten everything else on the bike off/on. I do need a box end wrench though so I will purchase a quality one for this job.

:cry:

Thanks,

Paul

what kind of wrenches?

ive been working on motorcycles professionally for 15 years.ive never rounded off a sprocket nut.......that is unless someone rounded them off first with a crappy wrench.

welcome to the world of horror!

I've changed many a sprocket and those nuts are about the cheapest material I've ever come across, rounded about 3 and had to take it down and have a weld shop cut them off with a blade.

They are very soft, and will round easily.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original nuts. But if you want to make a change, buy KTM sprocket nuts. They are 8mm, 1.25 pitch and have the same raised washer face and are 13 mm hex so you have a little more meat to grab hold of with a wrench. They are also self locking because the threads are squashed a little. You rounded the nuts because you had the socket only part way on and/or at an angle to the nut.

Ralph,

That's exactly how the darn nut rounded. I couldn't get the socket all the way on because of the spoke so I had it not only part way on but at an angle. Presto. I'm hosed.

Burned, I've got craftsman sockets but I've got to buy a box end for this job I think.

You probably use a hydraulic gun or something to get yours off right? :cry: That or you've got Snap Ons. :cry:$$$$$$$$

Now I've got to figure out a way to really get the dang nuts off.

You rounded the nuts because you had the socket only part way on and/or at an angle to the nut.

That is what I did. It was user error. I was trying to hold the allen wrench and the box end at the same time and the wrench slipped cause I was not holding it square while I was pulling and it rounded off when the wrench slipped off the nut.