Dented Rim

Life's certainly been eventful since I got the DRZ!

I've managed to dent the rim of the front wheel - I'm fitting Michelin a Comp 4 to the rim and I noticed the dent as I was fitting it. The nearest spoke is slightly loose and the rim is pushed in about 1/16 inch or even less ( 1mm or so).

Have I written off the rim or should it be OK if I just tighten the spoke and get on with it? Bear in mind these tyres are pretty knobbly and I'm regearing 14/47 as I fit them so top speed will be 70ish.

Cheers and thanks for everyone's help in my teething stages of owning a dirt bike! ?

Ian

If you are carful you can straighten small dents with a press.

Remove tire from wheel and go slowly.

It might help to loosen some of the spokes before you try to straighten the rim

With the gearing you have, on the street you will notice a bent rim.

Good luck, Corky ??

I got in trouble with this advise once before so I will be a little more gentle this time. From what you have said, you can just forget it. Tighten the spoke and you will never know it on the street or trail. 1mm is not even out of specification. Balance the wheel.

OK, you want to have ago at straightening. Best bet is a press. I have never seen success pressing the diameter out. Tire off. Press across the rim where the dent makes it wider. When you get the width OK the diameter will be close enough. Now I will give you my way. Beat the crap out of it. Tire off. Place the rim on a surface that will support the rim and use a 5 pound steel hammer directly on the rim. Any wood or protective material will deaden the blow and you will not get any place. I usually do this with the rim off the wheel, as the rim has to be fully supported by a hard surface like concrete. Yes it mars the rim but it is already dented. And if you are not happy with the result, just lace up a new rim.

• 6 years later...

Is this an example of a repairable dent (DIY) or should I shop it out?

I have a small press and a Snap-on plastic deadblow hammer and would like to try it myself. Being forewarned of the risk helps, thanks.

All the spokes are still okay but my wrists felt the impact!! Just blind luck not to go over. Unseen rock on 4th gear trail.

P6200003.jpg

Old thread, but still useful.

I have a bend similar to the one in the picture above (although not as bad). I feel it on the road, but don't really care (the knobbies are rough on the slab anyway).

Is there a worry of the tire coming off at that point, or is it more a balance and ride feel issue?

Thanks.