DRZ400SM??? What's the hook??

Well, the 400 motard is on Suzuki's web site, and I am trying to decide if it would be worth trading in my 400sr to get one. There are a few differences, according to the spec sheets, and I sure do like the BLACK....

What I would like someone to do for me is to compare the ride characteristics between the bike with the stock wheels and tires as opposed to the 17's. What is the lure of the SM setup, for street purposes. I can see the advantage of the larger brakes, but do the "sportbike" type tires and wheels really make that much difference for everyday use, and if so, describe the ride the SM setup provides. I am completely sold on the look of the SM, but there are no race days in my future, so I wonder if the performance differences would be that noticeable for around town, and two lane blasting. I love my 400sr....what would make me love the SM more?? For the two grand it would take to make my SR a SM, I'd just trade. There is not anyone around with a bike I can ride, So I leave it to my TT cronies to break it down for me...Thanks guys ?

Hi Rob,

Here is my attempt to answer a few of your Q's.

What the 17" wheels do for you is three fold. 1. They allow you to use the newest stickiest sport compound tires available. 2. The give you a much larger contact patch (tire to pavement). 3. They lower the bikes center of gravity.

These three added together increase available grip, corner speed, and confidence.

It is difficult to expalin the lure the appeal of the style of the bikes and the style of riding they represent, but clearly there is an appeal. So far I haven't really heard of anyone regretting their move to the dark side (except maybe some HP junkie that just wants to go fast in a straight line).

If you ride your DRZ/KLX mainly or only on the street, this is the most entertaining way to go.

You can convert your current bike for less than $2K, but if you like the look of the SM. I say go for it. ?

Mike

?

O.K.,

I assume that you can get a real "sportbike" kind of lean on a twisty road, and I guess that wheelies would be a little easier, in theory, because of the bigger, stickier contact patch, and maybe the motor would spin up a little faster due to the smaller diameter of the rear tire... not to even mention the awesome appearance of the big fat tires, and black wheels.

That settles it...Where do I sign up for the dark side?

I might as well keep the KLX, and buy the necessary items for the conversion, but I could trade in the 4-wheeler, and have both ? :cry:

Oh you forgot one thing. That big 21" wheel in the front has a lot of inertia. It does not like to be taken off a vertical axis at speed. The 17" wheel makes the bike quite a bit easier to switch directions quickly.

Actually, wheelies are NOT easier. The front of the bike actually sits lower, however you should not have any problems keeping the wheelies that you have in any gears currently capable of wheelying on your bike.

The biggest plus to the 17s if you ask me, is having good street rubber, AND having a set of off road wheels with good knobbies laced up and ready for real dirt work.

I say stick with the stock setup, as I do not want to see a bunch of SMs out on the road. Takes away the exclusivity.

Did I mention that I actually looked at a DRZ today (and then bought it!) But that I had already ordered 17s for a DRZ earlier in the week? Nope, did not have a bike or even one that I thought that I might buy at the time. I just knew that I wanted a street legal DS bike to motard. I have a CRF that I race, but just miss the opportunities to ride on a moments notice. (I was so close to picking up a 1000cc sportbike...CBR1000RR, but decided the DRZ was a better bike for me if I wanted any chance of keeping my license).

-MW

Simply put, supermoto is the most fun you will ever have on a motorcycle. Period.

When I tossed $1000 at a wheel set, and another few hundred at tires, big brake, etc., I began to wonder if I had just made a huge mistake. Not only was it not a mistake, but it turned out to be the best money I've even spent on a motorcycle. My street bike rarely gets ridden at all anymore.

Once you ride one, you will be a convert for life...even if buying the parts means eating bologna sandwiches for many months. It's very difficult to describe - you just have to trust us. The second best part is that you can ride dirt in the morning, spend 45 minutes swapping everything over, and go terrorize street bike riders in the afternoon. And, the very best part is that it's two completely different bikes with only one insurance policy. ?

After i got my SM DRZ.. i rode my ZRX1200 only a few times... i have so much fun with this bike lift the front wheel easy, corner speed... downshifting and sliding the back end in traffic lights, sound!!!(i have a full yoshi with out baflle! ?) I even thinking of trading my ZRX for a Triumph tiger to motard it for long trips! ?

Tiger-SuperMoto-with%20USD-Front-End-Fork.JPG