Sign in to follow this  

Top Dead Center

I heard that it is a good idea to leave the piston in tdc if possible when parking the bike. I may not ride my bike for weeks at a time, and heard that this is a good idea in order to keep tension off of the valve springs? Any one else heard this? If so, what is the best/easiest way to make sure that you are at tdc?

thanks.

I knew that I'd get at least one or two smart ass remarks. TT is getting a bad rep because of people like you providing feedback like that. Thanks for your intelligent answer. That is precisely the reason that guys are hesitant to seek advice via this forum, especially younger guys. They don't want to be ridiculed. Keep up the good work. :cry:

well i thought i was the only anel weird strange old guy that dose this,------your right and i will lay in bed at night to figure stuff like this out (v8 motors are hard, you haft to rotate every other day) but anyway on the hondas its realy easy------you just kick it untill you feel compression and then you stop,--then remove the timming cover at the bottem and look in at the mark and keep slowly turning the motor by hand untill the mark comes up and lines up with the other mark and your there ,----and once you do it afew times and get the feel you can do it with just your leg in afew seconds --------its another one of my pet peevs and i make all my guys do it everytime the bike is shut off------the poor valve springs are at least relaxed and can kool off this way and the cylinder is sealed from condensation, the valves kool more evenly and slowly and i can sleep at night-----you would be supprized the difference in tention that stays in the spring when you keep it relaxed and the valves live and are happy-------nascar guys pull rocker covers off and back off the springs on the spare motors after they have been dynoed -------and the motor thats in the car gets the heads pulled and freshened up every night at the track and the valves get set early in the morning for the race day.------now the springs are getting better all the time and were not seeing near the failyers we used to 20 years ago but all race motors have fast cam ramps and lots of lift and try to run the least amount of spring possable to keep friction down and spin free and quick, so it doesent hurt to keep them relaxed. --------i too had wanted to bring this up and probabbly should have but i just did not want to get flamed by others that thought i was a hi paranoid delusional old fart that did to many drugs in south east aisa. ---------------------oh and on the 2 stroke motors i got to have them at tdc also to seal the exhaust and the cylinder and let them kool slowly and also to keep condensation down .