Sign in to follow this  

Valve cover bolts ()#$%^&*(

After checking the valve clearances on my CRF for the umpteenth time today and spending the better part of a half hour getting the front cover bolts to thread, I figured someone has to have some tips for this nasty bit. It is just ridiculous that it takes longer to put in the bolts than it does to do the rest of the job put together!

Anyone have any pointers for this one?

Thanks-

Rob

relax, take a deep beath. :cry: the way i do it is start the back bolt first (just tight enough for the treats to hold) then take a flash light and hold up the front of the cover and start the next bolt. then do the same on the other side. it should go right on for you. you will be able to see the bolt hole with the flash light when you hold up on the front of the cover. the only thing i not sure of without trial and error is if the oring for the spark plug should be installed in the valve cover or on the spark plug tube. good luck

Use a magnetic pickup tool on the head of the bolt and they start very easily.

I like to use a pair of needle nose vise grips. I usually get them in on the first try now. One thing that helped me was when I realized that the area that the bolt goes into is raised from the rest of the cylinder head. The bolt has to be about a half inch out when it starts to engage. If it is in farther than that you missed. Go slow and try to keep the bolt as verticle as possible. Good luck.

...then take a flash light and hold up the front of the cover and start the next bolt. then do the same on the other side....

That's what works for me. With the back bolt barely started one has plenty of space in the front to lift the cover up and actually see the holes. From there the sockets work just fine to start the bolts.

Im glad I wasnt the only one who had trouble with that!!!!! :cry:

Its quite easy, clean the bolt and the socket you are using from all oil. Put the bolt in the socket and take a piece of electricial tape and wrap it around the washer and socket together. Just 1 wrap. Install the bolt and when you pull the socket out the tape comes with it. Works every time.

Place the head cover over the head. Get on your knees and look @ the area where the head and head cover meet and simply direct the bolt into the threads. It's not even an issue when you can see what's happening.

I used a magnet on the side of the extension and socket. Worked fine. I got this tip from Eric Gorr's site.

The bolt has to be about a half inch out when it starts to engage. If it is in farther than that you missed. Go slow and try to keep the bolt as verticle as possible.

That's the trick. Feed the bolt down, feeling for the raised boss. Once you do this a few times, you'll wonder why it was ever so hard to begin with. :cry:

I use a small piece of paper and wedge the bolt head into the socket. With a small 3 inch extension you can hold onto you can guide the bolt down onto its mating surface. After you snug the bolt down pull the socket off and remove the piece of paper. No more problems.

The bolt has to be about a half inch out when it starts to engage. If it is in farther than that you missed. Go slow and try to keep the bolt as verticle as possible.

That's the trick. Feed the bolt down, feeling for the raised boss. Once you do this a few times, you'll wonder why it was ever so hard to begin with. :cry:

Yes I had the same problem. Start with it 1/2 an inch out and then start to thread. Should thread in no problem. :cry::lol::cry::lol::cry: :cry: