Sign in to follow this  

Just bought my first 4-stroke 05' YZ250F any suggestions?

I already got some triple clamps and bars, any other suggestions on what I can do or what NEEDS to be done to make it race ready? Have not even ridden it yet. And its my first 4 stroke so any tips (jetting, pipe, suspension or anything other tips would be appreciated) oh ya, how about break in time?? thanks - Eugene

Many people on here recommend the Dr. D for a pipe. I have one and it's great. Only you can figure out what suspension settings work for you. Check the sag, change the oil all the time, clean the airfilter, and if it doesn't start in 4 kicks, there might be a problem. Change the plug if you have to kick it more than 30 times.

oh ya, what kind of fuel should i run in that bad boy??

93 octane

1) set your sag to 95-100mm

2)YOUR SPOKES WILL BE LOOSE AFTER THE 1ST RIDE OR 2. Tighten every 4th spoke the same amount (about 1/2 turn). You'll understand the pattern after the 1st revolution. Check them evry ride for the 1st 5 rides or so. If they are still loose after that.....YOUR RIDING A HONDA :cry: :cry:

3)Buy an hourmeter from Sears lawn dept and install($30). Use a dry erase board to keep all your maintenence records.

4)1st opportunity you get, throw away the 739 front tire unless you ride on concrete.

5)Suspension needs more than 5 hrs saddletime to break in. Your sag will change also as this breaks in. Don't be afraid to make clicker changes during break in but keep in mind things are changing down there so don't start settling on a setting until after 5 hrs or so.

6)Stock chain is like butter so expect to need a new one soon. If you want to save money up front put a new o or x ring chain on and the chain and sprocket will last a long time.

7)Break the motor in hard, don't let it sit and idle in the garage as it's 1st operation.

6)use regular (non synthetic) oil for the 1st 6 hrs then you have the choice of switching to syn or not.Change the oil after 3 hrs.

Buy a fuel mixture screw that can be adjusted easly, I like the T handle one that Scott's sells, and learn how to adjust, it will make the bike much easier to start. Leaded gas will make your valves last longer, I USE Av gas low lead 100.

Nah I would run a 100 octane fuel in it if I was you. I have the same bike. Ive ran 93 and 100 and the difference is easily noticeable so yea. If you can get 100 octane.I get mine from a airport. Dont run over 100 octane though because then it wont run very good, it will run phat. Airport fuel has a long shelf life and is very clean fuel. And it works well in high altitudes. :cry:

I would check fluid levels first and check all bolts/nuts for tightness. Dissasemble and put more grease in the steering stem, and rear linkage first before you get it dirty. Check tire air pressure, they put too much in sometimes at dealer. Make sure air filter is oiled up and tight.

After first ride, I would change oil/filter, clean air filter, check plug for color, tighten spokes as needed, go over all bolts/nuts again.

As someone else said, I would not start and let it idle, before break in, otherwise the rings may not wear in correctly, you have a limited time to do this right. DON'T use synthetic oil for a while maybe until about10 hours run time. I would not use high octain fuel unless you want to play with jetting, just 93-95 good quality pump gas.

change the oil a lot all the time I have the same bike but with any modern 4 st. i do the oil every time i ride it is cheap insurance