Big Step Down......

A buddy of mine just built a new practice track, and I have been riding on it a bunch of times with a bunch of different people... There is one jump on the track that just freaks me right out ever since the first day I was there... It is a cross between a double and a step down... there is a good size take off ramp, it planes down, and is flat for about 60 feet, then planes down again... I know there is a bunch of people practicing there (expert riders, and two amateurs) who are clearing it, but I have never been there when it was done. I ride amateur, and the first day I was there, I hit it at a pretty good clip, and landed about 8 feet short of where it planes down... I gotta tell ya, I have stock suspension, and it bottomed hard, kinda hurt a little... The jump is around 80 feet from the tip of the take off, to the top lip of the landing. There are bigger jumps on the track I dont have any problem clearing (table tops) so I know I can get plenty of speed to clear the jump, but after casing it once, it bothers me... The other part that bothers me, is if you overshoot the jump, you land in a big hole with another step up after, which could cause some serious issues. Normally it wouldnt bother me, but the surface of the track is like concrete. I fell there once in a corner, and it hurt like hell... I couldnt imagine fallin off 3rd gear pinned over a 80' step down. Do you guys have any tips for clearin this thing...

Right now the track isnt super long.... It has a nice step down that you can take as a double or a triple, then goes to a small table top, to a small triple, to double combo. After that is the big step down, after which you jump out of a low spot and into a sharp 180 corner. After that there is a real big table top, depending on your riding level and size bike, you can go up to about 90 feet, after that there is a good straight section with another big table top. After the table top, you go into a sweeping right, to a sweeping left, followed by a double, then an uphill section, around another 180 and back to the first step down. I guess pretty quick we are going to try to double its size by going into a nearby pit with another step down, have a nice rythem section, then a step up out of the pit, and another section with some doubles, whoops and a few corners.... It is gonna be sweet

Well if you came a few feet short like you said.. just hit it faster. The longer you wait to hit the harder and more scary the jump will become. Just go and warm up then hit it. You will feel ten times better. Ive been in this exact same situation before and let me tell you.... just balls up and hit it right away, and then before you know it you will have the confidence for any jumps, and then after that you won't even think twice about hitting a big jump you will just do it ? :cry: ?

ride behind someone who hits it and does it well. break the track down into just that small piece. If you can ride along side the jump (safely) pace another rider through. Set your mind on where you are at throttle and be okay that you don't see the target. Your mostly at a mental block about not seeing the landing. But it's that kind of jump in a race that will result in a bad situation if someone goes down and the flagger is sleepin. Get your buddy to make a jump that is more safe. Going big doesn't mean you're good. Being good means you can go big and don't have to.

Well guys, I went to the track the other day, and just let it rip... Cleared it with no problem. It was a little scary the first time, but I got a great picture... If anyone can tell me how, I will post it for ya. Now clearin it is just like yesterdays news, but it does feel good to be doing somthing that not many others have tried.