Sign in to follow this  

Trailer floor ideas

I have an enclosed trailer with a plywood floor. When I haul bikes they drip a little gas. This isn't a problem until I need to sleep in the trailer. Breathing gas fumes all night sure helps getting ready for a race! Does anyone have any suggestions for a floor that will hold up to gas and is easy to clean?

Don't know what to tell you besides get the gas leak fixed... :cry:

After fixing the gas leak, maybe try a floor like 2mm alloy sheet, or something which doesn't soak up the gas, and clean after any spillage. and should be ok.

Maybe also get some carpet ( floor coveriing of some sort) that you can roll out when you need to sleep in it, and just roll up and pack away when bikes are inside. :cry:

Take an antifreeze jug, cut one side out of it, leaving about 1 inch rim. Buy some self adhesive Velcro. Put the furry side on the floor, and the hook side on the jug, so that the jug will catch any gas or oil drips. Add a couple nails to the furry side, and scuff the plastic jug to be sure everything stays put. Fill the jug about 1/4 full of kitty litter/oil dry. Make another without the Velcro or kitty litter, makes a great cycle oil pan.

When it comes time to camp, pull the jug off, slide it under the trailer.

Robert :cry:

We had a HiPoint trailer (that incidentally, was stolen out of our driveway over 10 years ago) that we put a vinyl floor in. It came in 12" x 12" squares (we chose black in color). You've probably seen it before, it has slightly raised circular buttons that you could probably get at any flooring store. Lay the adhesive on the plywood, and stick on the tiles. You can cut them with a razor knife to trim them to size. It worked great, looked great, was durable, and any spills can be wiped up easily. Good luck.

I've had vinyl tiles in my trailer and they didn't last very long it was very slippery. I took out the tiles and put in some indoor/outdoor carpet. It's easy to clean, you can just hose it off. Its also more comfortable to sleep on. You should probably fix that gas leak regardless of what you do.

I just got a trailer this summer. I went to home depot and bought a bunch of checkered stick on floor tile. It doesnt take long to stick them down but you just need to prep the floor really good so its smooth. You also need to prime it to help them stick better. You could prolly have it done in an afternoon or so. Just dont do it when its cold. I unfortunatly did my ramp when it was cold. I had the tiles all nice and tight and it looked great....that was until i was at the track and the sun started hitting them. They heated up expanding and started to peal up and bubble...but that was just on the ramp...the inside has been great. Can get slippery though.....anyways good luck with whatever you decide. I think the hole thing only cost me 70 bucks or so. 26 cents for a 12x12 tile. 13 bucks or so for 45 of them. :cry:

When I haul bikes they drip a little gas.

Be sure to turn off the gas petcocks, that should cut down on the dripping.

For the floor, I painted it with Sears Weatherbeater anti-skid deck paing (gray). It has like little sand grains or something in it, and you use a special roller that specified on the paint can that leaves little bubbles behind that pop and get sharp when they dry. You roll the first coat on front-to-back, and the second coat side-to-side. That floor has held up to water, mud, gas spills (when I forgot to close the petcocks) and all kinds of abuse for over 3 years, and I'll let it go another year or two before I re-paint it. It's also pretty easy to clean.

Sears Weatherbeater anti-skid deck paint. :cry:

You could get it sprayed with Line-X truck bedliner. If you have a spraygun you could do it yourself, Eastwood sells a truck bedliner DIY kit.

I like cbombara's idea, that way you could have a rough surface to work on and it would be water proof (gas proof? :cry: I have never put gas on it :cry:)...looks good too. :cry:

I always make sure the gas is shut off on my bike before loading it. I also drain a little out of the carb so that it doesn't leak out when the trailer and bike bounce around when in transit. I have a vinyl floor though so if it gets gas on it I just wipe it up. One last thing. Get black and white checker flooring. It looks the best.

I plug the fuel breather hose that comes out of the gas cap. Also, turn off the gas and run the bike until the carb is dry before loading it. I carry mine in a hauler and sometimes sleep with them in there with no problems.

The Line-X/Rhino Liner stuff is pretty much everything-proof. That's part of the problem, if you want to remove it you better get out the grinder.

My buddy put it on his race car trailer. It has held up to gas,oil, and brake fluid and hasn't lifted even under hot race tires. As soon as I have the cash laying around I'm going to do mine the same way.

The floor of my trailer is aluminum tread plate or "diamond plate" sheet. More specifically it's called Brite 3003. Fire engines and service trucks are covered in the stuff. Excellent durablity. :cry:

Im going to put down that garage floor paint with the colored chips in it. It is supposed to work great for not absorbing any fluids jusy wipe it up.

Sears Weatherbeater anti-skid deck paint.

That's what I used on my 20' enclosed trailer. :cry:

Easy to put on and cost for my 20 footer just at $50.

Hold's up GREAT too!! :cry:

the floor of our trailer is regular house paint on plywood but it has a non slip additive in it that you buy and mix into the paint it has held up to gas no proplem and hasnt been a problem for cleaning. gives plenty of grip for the feet too.

I bought a roll on bed liner product and did my floor. I did the walls in off white weatherproof deck sealer. Now I just spray my trailer out after a mud ride. I think this is the best setup for motorcycles that I have seen.

Im going to put down that garage floor paint with the colored chips in it. It is supposed to work great for not absorbing any fluids jusy wipe it up.

Im going to use this stuff to, you just paint it on and its epoxy so it will hold up to anything. I saw it at an auto parts store.

Hey thanks for all the ideas! By the way I always turn off my gas but on long bumpy rides gas comes out of the carb overflow. Maybe I shouldn't try jumping rail road tracks with my truck and trailer!

I like the spray on bed liner idea. Getting it done professionally would cost around $400.00. A little more than I would like to spend. I hear the do it yourself stuff doesn't hold up as well. If anyone has tried the do-it-yourself stuff I would like to hear how it holds up.