Sign in to follow this  

Remider about your new bikes

Hey folks, just wanted to remind those that have bought a new bike recently. Honda is very tight with their grease. When you get your new bikes, be sure to pull the suspension bearings out and grese them well. Also, don't forget the steering stem. When I bought my 03 CRF, Honda didn't put much grease in there from the factory, and the dealer normally doesn't do it either. I learned my lesson years back on an old KX250 I had. It is much easier to grease them annually rather than replace the bearings when they go dry and crumble. Have fun and be sure to pin it and squint.

Very good point. :cry:

Might want to junk the stock chain too before it gets a chance to wear out the stock sprockets. Oil/grease the air-filter if your dealer didn't. I drained the transmission oil and measured/refilled it. You couldn't rely on the level indicator bolt but maybe they have that fixed now. I'd go with the piece of mind of KNOWING that you have the right amount in there.

Enjoy them! :cry:

Why is that anyway. Big ass company, expensive bike and they can't even grease the thing right. %*ing big business.

Its because of BS shipping regulations. Grease and oil are considered hazardous materials, and there's a penalty on shipping certain volumes of them. If Honda greased the bike properly and added the right amount of oil at the factory, your bike would cost hundreds more.

Great point to mention. They put just snot on all the bearings.

I always pull the chain adjuster bolts out and put anti-seize on them. Otherwise, in just a few riding seasons they will seize inside the swingarm.

Also be sure to put anti-seize on the bolts that thread into the gas tank. If these bolts seize inside the brass inserts, the inserts will spin and you'll never get them out of the gas tank !!

Also keep a eye on the rear sprocket BOLTS!!!! when you are adjusting the spokes put a wrench on the sprocket bolts !!