Sign in to follow this  

First trail ride since 1989

...Bought a nice 2000 DR-Z 400S last weekend, and took it out on some local trails today. Wow - I thought I was gonna DIE. Obvious changes needed are gearing - several times the engine tried to stall negotiating tight turns or obstacles. Tires (Trailwings) weren't too bad, the front tried to wash a bit but reading the posts on this board may prompt me to replace them.

All in all pretty enjoyable - but one thought keeps running through my mind. Is there any way to shave a BUNCH of weight off of this beast? I may end up trading for a non-street-legal smoker just to save my aching muscles!

Tony

Since it still has deathwings I take it its fairly stock.

Remove...

-Bar Ends

-One mirror

-Chain Guard

-Smog Canister (CA Model)

-Rear footpegs

-Heavy stock front light assembly (Get an acerbis or UFO)

-Rear Light Assembly can be trimmed down

-Stock Exhaust is heavy compared to aftermarket

To shave way more....

Remove all the E start items and battery and get a kick kit. I did this to mine saved 10 lbs or so.

Safety things to remove / bypass for safety....

-Clutch Switch

-Kickstand switch

You can get rid of even more weight. Just all about how far you are willing to go. 😢

You can get rid of even more weight. Just all about how far you are willing to go. 😢

Thanks. I have done the clutch switch and kickstand switch, as well as the chain guard. I know a hunk of weight is in the exhaust but $500 is mighty steep! I had planned (if I keep it) to lose the metal fuel tank.

Keeping all the doo-dads I can buy in mind, what would be a realistic weight figure for this bike to arrive at?

Thanks