Sign in to follow this  

Using Clutch During Jumps

How often do you all use the clutch when jumping? I haved a difficult time getting height and distance, even with sufficient approach speed. Is it common to use the clutch on approach or on the face of the jump to get better height and distance?

Clutch on takeoff is a bad idea, and not only that, probably actually very difficult to do...

More height is the result of a higher speed hit, or, what is called a seat bounce, where the rear end of the bike is loaded with your weight, and you blip the gas and stand up off the back on take-off to get your rear suspention to unload just as you take off.

More distance is usually a sheer speed thing, unless you need the distance to go further, in which case, again, a seat bounce can get you there.

It really depends. I use the clutch/throttle on some jumps which is known as 'pulling the trigger' kind of explosive power to help you jump further on jumps with next to nothing for a run way (like a jump after a left/right hand turn). On my 4 stroke i use the clutch alot (not like a 2stroke tho). like on some jumps I'll (try) to control the power of the bike by using the clutch and throttle.

Thats my 2 cents :cry:

I think clutching on the jumpface is pretty tough. It gets really busy really quick. I'd try to find some other way of getting the speed before the jumpface.

you have to be really intune with your bike. If i use it, it is definately a last ditch effort because i couldnt come up with the steam needed before hand, and it usually wont give you that much, atleast not on a thumper. If you get thrown off balance or loose your cool and maybe go WOT and dump the clutch your gonna be doing a back flip. If your asking i probobly wouldnt worry about it yet. Work more on keeping speed though corners or getting a good drive between jumps and obstacles etc.

I should add to my post that the technique took me a really good while to figure out and I'm also very comfy with my bike :cry: A good place to work on this technique is a table top but as above, becareful :cry:

i had tried this technique before, a small double right after a berm, without much runway, WOT from the apex, on the face of jump, just a flick on the clutch lever and i clear the double.

that is the only particular jump i do it, never try on any other track or jump anymore.

but it works!

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like working on speed and momentum is the better approach right now for me. You hear a lot of opinions on the subject of proper jumping techniques. Add to that the fear of a face plant and you can start to see my reluctance working on some doubles. Just takes time and repetition I guess. Thanks much.

The seat bouncing technique will land you a good face plant. I haven't tried to do a seat bounce yet. and the pulling of the trigger technique i just stumbled over it one day at the track when i was messing around and found that it works great once you learn how to use it correctly.

Thats exactly it. This sport takes time, money and practice as you are well aware of. My opinion on this whole subject is just take your time with it, get comfortable on the bike and taking jumps. Eventually it will come to you. I highly recommend getting GS's DVD's at least 1 2 and 3 for now, and maybe others later. And even Gary's technique 'cook book'. I forget the name of it :cry: And just practice your little heart out.

Biggest thing is don't do something unless you totaly feel your ready for it. You have to take chances but there is a right time for that. With me, like today, I've been pondering this rather large double at the track, its like 50ft or so, and has a take off 6 feet tall. it throws you up and fairly high. Now up this point I've been just thinking about it. Today I told a buddy of mine "I'm going to follow you over that double, cuz if I don't it will piss me off to no end". I knew I had the skill to do it, I just had to get over the mind games. And when I get pissed at a jump, thats when I know its time to do it.

Anyway, I'm just ranting now. :cry:

Good luck!

If you can't seat bounce I wouldn't suggest clutching. There is too much that can go wrong on a jump face for you to be messing with the clutch. Seat bouncing is a must learn jump technique. Its especially effective for jumps right out of corners and jumps that require height and some extra distance.

When practicing try it on a table first. The bike will throw you right over the bars if you aren't used to seat bouncing. Its a feeling thing. Takes time for your body to learn what to do. I have been doing seat bouncing for a year now and every once in awhile the bike will surprise me and try to throw me off. Be patient and take it slow.

A good friend of my who use to race motocross gave me these bits of advice. "Work on cornering and you get the jumps for free" and "All the work to clear a jump is done before you get to the jump". I've just started out and its the best advice I have been given. I just concentrate on cornering and I am gradually starting to clear most jumps by just coasting over them.

I just concentrate on cornering and I am gradually starting to clear most jumps by just coasting over them.

I've always felt that you make up most of your speed in teh corners and I feel really good here. The problem I have is that I slide by most people inteh corners then lose what I've gained as they sail over my head in the doubles sections. Gets frustrating. I agree that it is time in the saddle that counts. It is tempting to just peg the throttle and hope for the best but that is just tempting the Emergency Room gods! Time and patience I guess. Thanks for putting up with the "Newbie" and being so great with all your advice.

True! I got a little overzealous on a simple double that I was easily doing,looped out and saw the ER gods about 6 weeks ago. Good to be patient and let it come to you.

Where do you ride in IL?

Where do you ride in IL?

Sunset Ridge in Walnut, Buffalo Range in Ottawa, Byron, and Waterman Indoor Track (when the weather gets cold). A lot of driving from where I am in Carol Stream, but it is definately worth it. Are you in Illinois?

Just Walnut and our own little track. I went to look at the Waterman track last winter and it looked a little intimidating. Maybe now I've got a whole summer of riding I might go back and try it.

Just Walnut and our own little track. I went to look at the Waterman track last winter and it looked a little intimidating. Maybe now I've got a whole summer of riding I might go back and try it.

Waterman is very technical but it is great to ride through more of the winter instead of getting fat and rusty. I think it is good to not let the bike stay idle all winter too. I ride a '04 CRF250 (#925). Maybe we'll bump into each other there or at Walnut.

true that :cry:

i used to think my 80 had weak bottom power, actually it did have an annoying low end bog that would piss me off but, thats besides the point. Momentum is the key for clearing jumps on a motocross track. if you're just playriding in a pit or you have some jumps somewhere, corner speed isnt that crucial, that is if you dont have any jumps out of corners :cry: