Sign in to follow this  

Baja Design Stator Mod - Anyone done this?

Has anyone had their stator upgraded by Baja Designs? Any notable difference? How long did it take to turn it around (ship there, rework & ship back)? I will be installing a BD dual purpose kit this weekend. They say that the battery will discharge if you use a larger headlight bulb than 35W without a stator rewind. The ugrade increases the output from 80W to 250W (2 125W circuits). They say you don't need it to install the dual purpose kit, but I think it may be boarderline without it (especially when riding at night).

-Indiana :cry:

Baja Designs rewound my XR600 stator a couple of years ago. They had great service and told me their rewind has a lifetime guarantee. I think they only had a couple of days backlog at the time. Anyway, I recommend them.

If you mean a "DualSport" kit, with blinkers, stop/tail light and horn, then I think 35W is the biggest you should probably go for the headlight. You normally can go with at least a 55W with no problems, as stock output is 80W. The stock tail light is 4W. But running all the other lights and horn of the Dualsport kit would be taxing that 80W stock stator. I realize the blinkers and horn aren't used that much and wouldn't be an issue most of the time. But I think if you're wanting more light up front, you won't see a big change with another 20W. I'd go with a stator upgrade and if your DS headlight is a hi/low beam, at least a 100/80 bulb. If not a hi/low headlight, then a 100W halogen with the BD glass headlight upgrade kit.

If you're a DIY'er then check this site for info on winding your own stator. I rewound my 250 stator using this page (and others I'd read, but this one was the best) as guide. I used the parallel winding config and it works great. Did mine over a year ago and it's held up perfectly. Prior to rewind the blinkers wouldn't blink if I was at idle with headlight and brakelight on. Afterwards, no problem with blinkers working in all conditions, even with brites on. FYI, I also just wired in your ATK speedo light to the ckt and everything still works good. You will need to 'subscribe' to the group to access this file.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/files/Stators/

If you're going to pay to have a stator rewound I'd just buy a complete HO stator. It costs about the same amount and you still have the stock one as a backup.

Have BD do it. Only takes a few days and the customer service that comes along with it second to none. What use would a spare stock stator have anyway??? Just had mine done and it's dialed.

:cry:

Thanks. I'll check that site as soon as I'm approved. I had thought about winding this myself, but didn't know what size wire to use, the configuration, the number of turns on each post, what type of sealant to use, etc.. I would think that the main thing with a motorcycle stator would be to make sure you use the right kind of wire so the insulation doesn't break down from the engine heat and then apply a coating that will hold everything in place and keep out the elements. If someone else has figured out all of the variables, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to modify it. By the way, I just installed my ATK speedometer today and it works fine. I ended up threading the ends of the posts using a 5 X .8 mm die, used some bushings from the local hardware store, and then used the rubber bushings, nuts and washers from my Honda odometer. It looks pretty good. I'm installing my BD dual sport kit and I've reached a stopping point for the evening. I should have it done tomorrow. I really got a good deal on this kit by buying it off Ebay ($266). Together with the speedometer, I'm going to end up with a street legal XR for under $300. :cry:

I think the new stator idea is the best. Ricky Stator has fully wrapped stators for something like $130, and thats new with no core charge.

I just rewound mine last night according to the instructions on All Offroad. I wired it in series for the most output and used 18awg high temp magnet wire. Works so far, but I suppose could fail at any time. I will rewind the whole thing if that happens.