Sign in to follow this  

XR70 fork oil type/level and how to measure???

Ok, I'm in over my head :cry:.... I took apart the front forks to install the BBR stiffer springs and SP-5 damping rods. BUT...this is the first time I've done this and I didn't wait for the service manual to arrive before I dove in. Does anybody know the proper oil type and level (and how in the heck to measure it) for an XR70?? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!!

I am at work but will e-mail you when I get home for the level and stock size. To get to the proper level take off the top of a spray bottle with the nozzle and hose on. Measure how far down you want the oil to be (will get that 2 u) and cut hose off at that point. Fill fork with oil and pump piston several times (slowly :cry:). Put sprayer top on top of fork and spray out of fork until oil no longer comes out. I'll get you more info when I can. pm me if you need other suggestions that don't include numbers before that. Sorry for the delay. If you get the numbers you need before that, let me know and I will walk you through the rest. You can also do a search under the xr250/400 forum for other ways to measure fork oil when finishing the job. Good Luck!!! :cry: