Sign in to follow this  

EBC oversized rotor "WARNING"

I just installed an EBC oversived rotor and caliper relocater to my 02' 400S a couple days ago (the SM6017, 320mm) and it's sweet, but.... yesterday I noticed that my rotor was showing signs of overheating and had a strange wear pattern on the outside, like only the top half of the pad was touching the rotor, which is exactly what was happening.

If you look at the lower caliper mount on the fork leg you'll see that the material on the rear side has been removed to allow the caliper to clear it, this is not the case on the relocating bracket. Under braking the caliper works just fine, but otherwise it pushes up on the caliper just enough to lever the top of the pad against the rotor, always.

I just took a belt sander to it and all is well now, but am trying to get hold of EBC in hopes that they'll fix the problem and make things right with me, I'll post an update later.

On the light side, I definitely recommend the upgrade, along with a steel line of course. Tons more braking power for under $200, just wait till they fix it or get busy with a file.

Don`t think EBC are too clever. i`ve been asking them about a 320mm conversions and this is what they sent:

Hi

Need to double check this, as the catalogue does state 320mm for this disc, but when I spoke to technical today they said no.

Will check again tomorrow and let you know.

Regards

Buckley Skinner

EBC Brakes Direct Limited

Tel - +44(0)845 22 55 0 11

Fax - +44(0)845 22 55 0 12

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com

Have you pics of what you`ve had to do to get it to sit right?

I don't have any pics, but all you have to do is remove about 1/8+ inch(what, like 2-3mm) of aluminum from just behind the lower bolt hole. I used a belt sander, cuz the file was taking too long and it happened that the guide wheel on the belt sander was about the same radius as the outside of the lower piston on the caliper, so my notch is pretty uniform to it.

haven't heard back from EBC yet.

I just install the Motomaster setup. Works killer, but now Ill have to double check.

S7