Sign in to follow this  

G'day from OZ and need some help!!

Hi everyone. Just recently discovered this fantastic forum after purchasing a '02 WR250F. For years I've been riding 2 strokers and after one ride on a mates WR250f I was hooked and bought one a week later!!

Anyways story with my bike is I bought it with 800kms on the clock and yes its like new. The poor guy I bought it off broke his back at work and had it sitting for a year hoping his back would get better but it didn't. So I bought the bike and it had a nice Staintune pipe on it and had the airbox lid removed. The bike goes hard - especially up top but its always had the bog and a stutter/miss at about a 1/4 throttle. So I rode it like this for a little while and deceided the other day I would pull the carbie off and see what jets it had.

Well it has a #170 main, #40 pilot, OBELP needle, clip was 3rd from top, leak jet #105 and pilot air jet #72 and air screw 2 1/4 turns out. According to the manual this is the stock std jets for an aussie WR. Now me thinks that a bike with a pipe should be re-jetted and I have spent many nights on this forum reading about what jetting people are running.

I then went to my local yamaha dealer who has a mechanic clued up and races one of these and he recommended simply a OBELQ needle and air screw 2 1/2 turns out.

I quized him about the other jets and he says this works the best cleaning up the miss and bog. So I buy the jet and put it all back together (after cleaning the carbie with compressed air) and to find the bike would not kick start. So I clutch start it and it goes but won't idle and only pops and farts like crazy with not top end.

So I put the stock needle back in as it was but it still won't start and when clutched it farts pops and refuses to idle but at least it has top end. Have I done something wrong? I have been fixing bikes for the last 15 years but this is the 1st WR carbie I've seen. Maybe there is a trick to these things!! I'm getting worried!! The platinum plug is a normal colour. Sorry for the long post. Cheers Frank...

Check to make sure you do not have the slide in up side down. It causes the same thing you are describing. :cry:

Is it possible to put the slide in upside down? Looks like it only goes one way.

:cry: My goodness I feel like a real fool! Yes it was upside down!! Well now I can sleep and go riding tommorow! Thanks heaps for the help :cry: