Sign in to follow this  

03 RM250 or 96 XR400

I have a RM250 that I love to ride and am very comfortable with the 2 stroke poweband. I also have two sons that have a XR50 and XR70 and a third about to start riding. We occasionally hit the track but the majority of my riding is on the trails with them. My question is I have a chance to purchase a 96 XR400 for 2700 Canadian but I would have to sell the RM. (Cant afford two bikes) How dissapointed would I be riding the 400 after having the Rm. The idea of minimal maintenance and being able to putt around without frying the clutch and or motor would be a big plus. Is a 96 XR400 worth $2700? The guy selling it tells me he is giving it away at that price.

Well, I have sons with XR50 and XR80 and I got an XR400 last year (new). Not coming off an RM250 though.

I would say that if you plan to ride with the kids - at all - or if you intend to ride trails a lot the XR will not be a bad choice. It won't be as finicky in the areas you describe. Don't know about the price $2,700CDN (~ $2,200 US) doesn't sound like a "steal" but they do hold their value and if it's in good condition, I don't think it's a rip-off either.

That said, there's nothing wrong twith the RM for trail riding either - just different. If you're used to it, the power delivery of the XR will be softer.

:cry:

My opinion is that is an excellent price, I am always looking for another play bike and see them selling for more than 3 to 3.5k here in BC.

If it dosn't need much work I would buy it and try it out for a season, they hold their value and you will be able to resell it and buy another 2 stroke if you are not satisfied.

bake

If it dosn't need much work I would buy it and try it out for a season, they hold their value and you will be able to resell it and buy another 2 stroke if you are not satisfied.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

That's it. What he said. You can't go wrong with that approach.

If you like it, you're going to keep it for a long time and it's an investment. If you don't (well, you will, but you might prefer something else) you can always resell it for very close to what you paid and consider it rented for the difference for the time you owned it. Either way you can't really lose with this bike.

For very little maintenance or riding slow behind your kids, you can't beat the XR400.

However, for that big hit of power, great suspension, and jumping; you will miss the RM250.

I kept a RM250 rider of similar ability behind me for a while, until he crashed. Then I got tired and I couldn't keep up.

Check the Locations section. Post a message I'm sure you can find an XR400 owner to hook up with and swap rides for a short time.

(Keep both!)

Thanks for all the responses but Im still not sure what to do. Im leaning towards just buying a flywheel weight but I dont know if thats really going to help all that much. I love the reliability and lack of constant maintenance the XR would have but Im not sure I want to give up the Rm. Six of one half dozen of the other. :cry: Wish I could afford to keep both.