Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450 VS. KTM 450 EXC.. knowledge not flames please !!

I have an 04 Crf450 and I am really happy with it but I have just heard so much good info on the KTM,s in the woods.

I am really looking at ergonomics here. My CRF has plenty of power and so far has excellent dependability.

Has anyone on here ridden both and has a good feal for how they perform in woods??

I've ridden two CRF450's back-to-back with my RFS's. They were both setup for the woods, though. I liked them quite a bit. Similar power to my 450 and well setup, I thought. I didn't like them enough to switch brands or anything but I can see why it's a popular bike to convert to the woods.

I have an earlier KTM and my buddies all bought CRF450s, so I've ridden both. For me in the woods there is no comparison, I LOVE my EXC. The CRFs are wonderful bikes, but I've found them more work and slower in the woods (MUCH faster on the track). The plusher suspension, lower first gear, smoother power hit and electric start are all excellent features. With a wide ratio six speed I have the luxery of a lower first gear and higer top gear, which is nice. I like the hydraulic clutch better too (although the Honda has a very nice cable clutch).

Ergonomics are very personal, and I actually find both bikes comfortable. Handling is different and I like the KTM, but to be fair my bike is set up for me, my buddies are all bigger guys. None of them has complained about the ergos on mine either, though.

Both good bikes but for 90% plus woods I truly believe the KTM offers more.

Thanks for the info guys. :cry: :cry:

You are telling me what I thought that I would hear.

Looks like I am going to have to find somebody at a local trail and see if they are willing to swap rides.

One more comment for the records... I have an 04 CRF 450 and an 04 KTM 450 EXC. I owned the CRF first but had to get a second bike because of these ass backwards "red sticker" laws in california which prohibit the CRF from being ridden at certain parks in the summer. Anyway, both bike are spectacular (I ride Enduros, use tracks just for practice). But the differences between the bikes is pretty significant. In terms of ergonomics, the CRF 450 will wear out your forearms long before the KTM. The CRF will pull away from the KTM on the straight and narrow, and will also turn under the KTM on the tight twisties. This is no different than what you'll find comparing just about any MX bike to an off-road bike. But if off-road is what you are doing, and if you are doing long, difficult rides, the KTM really shines. The low end power is sufficient enough that you practically never touch the clutch. the powerband is also broad enough that you won't get too penalized for being in the wrong gear. the electic start provides for instant recovery from bails.

So, all in all, I think the CRF is funner to ride, but rider fatigue will set in sooner. The KTM is about 25-30 pounds heavier, but it's worth the weight (18inch rear, beefy oring chain, electric start, headlight, six speed, heavy duty inner tubes, excel rims with thicker spokes...)

I think in febuary hondas answer to the EXC will come in the form of their CRF450X. that is going to be a tough call!

daniel

The CRF will pull away from the KTM on the straight and narrow, and will also turn under the KTM on the tight twisties. This is no different than what you'll find comparing just about any MX bike to an off-road bike.

The KTM is about 25-30 pounds heavier, but it's worth the weight (18inch rear, beefy oring chain, electric start, headlight, six speed, heavy duty inner tubes, excel rims with thicker spokes...)

I think in febuary hondas answer to the EXC will come in the form of their CRF450X. that is going to be a tough call!

daniel

I used to own a 2003 CRF450 and now ride a 2005 525 MXC. The CRF is a great bike and if your primary mission is motocross, it is the best choice. But, if your looking for a woods weapon, the KTM is the clear winner.

I don't agree with FDP about the CRF out turning the KTM. I have just the opposite opinion. On flat berm-less corners the KTM feels more planted. I compared the two bikes on some tight twisty cow trails and the KTM was definitely easier to ride fast and it just gave me more confidence than the CRF.

I weighed my 525 on the day I picked it up. It was 248 lbs. and it had .3 of a gallon of gas in it. My CRF was 235 lbs., so the difference is about 11 or 12 lbs. If you remove the kickstand and e-starter/battery, your down to 235 lbs. easily.

I think the CRF450X will be a good bike and worth taking a look at, but if you can't wait, I don't think you will regret getting a KTM.

If it is not mx The KTM is WAAAAY better. It turns better off road, the gearing is awesome, The motors has great bottom end so the Katoom is faster ( unless you are a Fast A rider in wide single track. The Katoom is less prone to stalling and easier to hit the button if you do. I think I just talked myself into one and I just put a deposit on a CRF450 and Own a CRF250. :cry:

These are the responses that I figured I would get.

Now, is the KTM worth $2000 more; that I will have to cough up to trade? :cry: :cry:

These are the responses that I figured I would get.

Now, is the KTM worth $2000 more; that I will have to cough up to trade? :cry: :cry:

I just did the trade myself, and yes it is worth it. :cry: