More FCR questions -installation

All,

I am going to get the FCR for a bike (02-S model)that I bought yesterday.

I see that Carb parts warehouse has a kit for $500, but still you have to buy vent lines and an intake adapter and possibly a few other items. I do not wish to turn this into a fiasco over the period of several weeks, so knowing what all the parts needed would be very helpfull.

I also noticed that Service Honda sells the carb for the CRF450 for $370. Is this much different than the FCR needed for the DRZ? Is it simply way too much work to fit?

I really want to know what I need to get the job done, and done right over the course of only one evening. I did D/L the helpfull FCR guide from this site, but it is the one that pointed out that I need additional parts from Ron Ayers. Only problem is that I am not clear on the list of parts needed as parts numbers were not included, and the links did not take me to the correct parts, but rather the RonAyers homepage.

Thanks all,

-MW

Do a search down below type "FCR" and you will find everything your looking for. Trust me. With the exception of fine tuning the jets I got all my info from there. Jetting starting point, parts needed, taffy mod. Everything ?

On the Ron Ayers web site go to the fiche. Select DRZ400E thats where you will get most of your parts. ?

The Service Honda one is a 40mm FCR,, you want the 39mm

You can go one of two ways.. adapter bell mouth from sudco and e intake connector plus clamp (carb to head)

Or

from Ronayers

E bell mouth

E intake connector and clamp for the carb side

e air box boot

Plus you'll want the JD jetting kit to get it dialed in,, and an adjustable fuel screw.. both available from the TT store.

I also recommend the Pilot Air Screw (used in place of the pilot air jet) for ease of jetting.. This you get from Sudco

As suggested, do a search.. You'll find lots of good info

Alright. I concede that the information exists in past posts. My concern, or trepidation lies in that it seems that trips to Sudco, Carb parts warehouse, Ron Ayers, and the TT store are all in order if I want the kit to perform?

According to Carb parts warehouse, they tell me that "everything" I need is in the kit. I know this is not true, as the jetting listed does not align with the jetting everyone seems to be using. Then the intake side of the equation should have the E boot and clamps. (I did not even consider that I might need a new bellmouth). I was also assuming that the carb would slot nicely into the the airbox side of things, but do I need something there as well?

From what I have read, there are a number of methods to do this, with a number of different carbs...FCRI vs FCRII, Sudco (at $700+) vs CPW ($500)

-MW

Just looking for some clarity. BUT thanks all for responding.

Alright. I concede that the information exists in past posts. My concern, or trepidation lies in that it seems that trips to Sudco, Carb parts warehouse, Ron Ayers, and the TT store are all in order if I want the kit to perform?

According to Carb parts warehouse, they tell me that "everything" I need is in the kit. I know this is not true, as the jetting listed does not align with the jetting everyone seems to be using. Then the intake side of the equation should have the E boot and clamps. (I did not even consider that I might need a new bellmouth). I was also assuming that the carb would slot nicely into the the airbox side of things, but do I need something there as well?

From what I have read, there are a number of methods to do this, with a number of different carbs...FCRI vs FCRII, Sudco (at $700+) vs CPW ($500)

-MW

Just looking for some clarity. BUT thanks all for responding.

OK,, so what you saying is................arggggggggggggggggggMy head,,,,,ahhhh, It hurts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so much info,,,,,,,,,,,,so many questions............... ? :cry: ? :cry:

??

OK,, so..

First counter question.. New or used?

I was planning on new. I have looked into eBay, but I am looking for something a little closer to turn key than a carb that may or may nor require rebuilding/rejetting/ and or serious fettling to get onto the bike.

I have seen these for quads...

ebay web page

Not sure if I did the above right. In addition, there is something about needed vacuum for the fuel petcock...I see the two bolts, but do not see how removing a nut will allow me to install a vacuum line.

So, your description is "dead on" I am a bit confused and overwhelmed.

I still have to get a number of other items on the bike and am in a serious slope for a learning curve on this bike. I will make it work...

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Crash,

i've recently done this mod and got all my info from the following site!

DRZ.INFO

I managed to get a DRZ carb from Ebay and accidentally got two belmouths, as the carb had it fitted already, but the spare one has now been sent to a fellow TT'er.

Hope this helps!

BTW the FCR rocks....still not getting full WFO with the "S" throttle cable but I feel a fettling session coming on. ?