Sign in to follow this  

E-line Dualsport kit question

Anybody have any feedback thats using the E-line dualsport kit with the UFO headlight and tailight assemblies?

This past winter I set up a '01 XR650R for long distance dual sport and rode it about 10,000 miles all through Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, down as far south as you can ride in Central America (Yaviza, Panama) and back. I averaged eight hours of riding time per day for over a month.

Raffi at E-Line installed their dual sport lighting kit for me. The base kit comes with intentionally minimal lights. Because I needed real lights, Raffi installed a 12 coil stator (the U.S. version comes with a 4 coil, but has the mounts for the 12 coil), with an H4 Acerbis headlight assembly. They have determined that the 4 coil is not adequate for turn signals and a 55+ watt headlight.

The kit is very well designed, all the electronics are in a small blackbox that mounts inside the headlight assemby. Wiring is OEM-quality. The switch assembly that I had did not give good tactile feedback (it was hard to tell with a gloved hand if you had successfully pressed a button), but I have heard that they are updating the switch assembly. Kevin and Raffi at E-Line are very helpful and willing to set up their kits for your application. You can call them @ (508) 295-0812.

The XR650R makes a great dual sport bike. Keep in mind that the Canadian/Guatemalan version comes from the factory with an H4 headlight/turn signals/steel subframe extension & lower fender. But it is probably heavier than a dual-sport converted U.S. version.

I know this post is very old, but I have an E-Line Dual Sport Kit on my '02 KTM Exc 250. Currently I am trying to troubleshoot a problem where my Blinkers, Horn and Headlight are not working. Tail Light and Brake Light work fine. Tested the one fuse I could find and it is fine too. In fact with the fuse out the Tail Light does not work so I know it is not a fuse problem. I have a call and an email into Kevin at Eline, but have not heard back yet. They do not make the kits anymore, and if I need parts I am hoping they have some.

I would love an electrical schematic of the main computer if anyone has one. All I have is the installation instructions which the guy I bought the bike from has fortunately held on to. Other than that, I cannot find anything about it on my short internet searching. Hoping this forum can help in any way.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeff,

I am having the same problems. Did you have any luck from the guys at Eline? I just emailed them as well.

Was this issue ever resolved. I recently purchased a 2002 ktm 520 and am experiencing the same issues

I know this post is very old, but I have an E-Line Dual Sport Kit on my '02 KTM Exc 250. Currently I am trying to troubleshoot a problem where my Blinkers, Horn and Headlight are not working. Tail Light and Brake Light work fine. Tested the one fuse I could find and it is fine too. In fact with the fuse out the Tail Light does not work so I know it is not a fuse problem. I have a call and an email into Kevin at Eline, but have not heard back yet. They do not make the kits anymore, and if I need parts I am hoping they have some.

I would love an electrical schematic of the main computer if anyone has one. All I have is the installation instructions which the guy I bought the bike from has fortunately held on to. Other than that, I cannot find anything about it on my short internet searching. Hoping this forum can help in any way.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Do you still have the operating instructions?? Would love a copy. Trying to see if there's a way to turn head light of to charge battery.

Thanks Russ

Rhail3@yahoo.com

Not sure if it is much help now that I read it....

Yeah at least I found out about the turn signals. It helped.

Thank you very much.

Russ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheLastByte
      Contemplating picking up a BRP in the near future and looking for some perspective.The current owner claims that the bike has about six hundred hours on it, but there's no way for me to confirm as the odo's not accurate.

I know brp's have a reputation for running forever on stock top ends, but they must eventually have an expiration date. What should I look for on a high mileage bike like this to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disappointment? Also, What are some non engine/transmission related issues I should look for?
    • By TanSnowman51
      Guys, 
      Have been riding my 650L for over a year and a half and have been loving every second! In August I moved back to Reno after finishing up my masters at Arizona State. I have been spending most of my time riding around verdi to stampede and the Dog Valley road area. Always looking for riding buddies. 
      Was curious what everyone was doing as far as Daves mods or jet kit for the upper elevations 4,000 to 8,000 feet?
      FMF Q4 exhaust, smog delete done so far!

Thanks!
    • By Alexandre Askmo
      Hey dear folk!

I need your help.

A bit of background info, I’m a complete noob when it comes to holding a wrench and doing anything more than filling up the bike. I have however had an interest for as long as I’ve had a bike to make it mine, and that’s why I’m writing to you now. I just bought a donor bike, a Honda NX650 which a friend of mine is helping me fix up and then modify to my liking (I’m hoping to end up with a gorgeous scrambler in about 9 months).

We found a hairline scratch in the cylinder and need to bore it. This leads me to my question.

Should I get a 1st overbore performance piston or keep the compression ratio as is? If so is there anything in particular I will need to modify to tolerate the high compression piston?

If I do get the performance piston, should I also get a new carburetor, hot cam, and new exhausts? I am planning on new exhausts anyway (2-1 from an XRL) and I’m planning on removing the airbox and getting a K/N pod air filter.

Again, keep in mind I know nothing, my friend has however fixed up a bunch of XRLs and cars but never really used performance parts. Help me out with the decision please, I would also like to keep the whole build to a reasonable cost (I know this is a very relative number).

I should also add that I want to keep the DNA of the bike, for example keeping the fuel tank instead of switching to a smaller rounder one as one usually sees in most custom builds. The aim of the whole build is to have an insanely fun bike to ride, both in the city and off-road, as well as giving it a bunch of my personality 😊

Thanks a lot for any help!

Best,

Alex
    • By MrCitizen
      I've been rebuilding/restoring an XR650R for some years now (after toasting the motor in 2013). Sent the motor off to be rebuilt, had a local shop rebuild my forks and shock, and took care of most everything else myself.
      As of a couple months ago I had almost everything assembled and ready to run.

As a final check before adding fluids to the bike, I decided to stick my boroscope into cylinder and take a look. The results were concerning.

These boroscope pics looked so gnarly that I pulled the head off the motor to get a more thorough look.

To say that I'm concerned is an understatement. I have pics of the motor internals pre-rebuild, and can confirm that this is definitely a new piston and replated cylinder. I also have all the old parts from the motor, so it does have a new cam, connecting rod, valves, and basically everything else I expected to have replaced.
      The builder "ran the motor briefly to confirm everything ran alright" and then shipped it back to me. I reached out to him with these pics and he said,
      The piston looks like this because he had it machined from 12:1 to 11:1 compression. The streaks on the cylinder wall are normal for one that isn't broken in yet. Regarding the valve impacts in the piston head: "My concern is that something may have passed through the cylinder. How does it run?" I've never run this motor. I can feel these streaks in the cylinder wall with my fingernail. Did he re-use a piston from some other motor?
      Is this dude jerking my chain or is this motor fine to run?
      He's a fairly well-known builder in the XR community and was recommended to me by guys in the (now-gone) XR650R forum.
    • By Jonas Reppe
      I got my XR600r dirt bike giving me a carb issue that I just can not get worked out. It starts first kick and idles well, throttle cracks off nice and crisp when you whack it, but if you ease into the throttle to just above idle it's a spit and sputter pile of shit! Lol. I can turn the idle speed adjustment up to a fast idle and it starts spitting and studdering just the same. Done a lot of research and it points to the pilot circuit. I put a rebuild kit in it and have taken it apart and cleaned it seriously 12 times now. I'm at the point of looking for a different carb body to try. They're about $100 though. A new keihn carb is $250 on eBay. Any thoughts? That pilot adjust screw doesn't seem to adjust anything until it's fully seated or falling out. It has ran ok in that idle to 1/4 throttle circuit before but it don't now. The last 6 removal/cleanings haven't made any changes, previous ones did improve the throttle snap when you whack it.
      The main needle clip is on the middle groove.
      I checked for air leak with some starting fluid when it was idling and seen no change to the way it ran, indicating no leaks. 
      Bike has stock jet sizes, foam filter, stock exhaust. 1,830' elevation here in South Dakota. 
      I'm baffled..