Sign in to follow this  

Switches Switches Everywhere

I have been toying with getting rid of all of my OEM 400s switches, i.e., ignition key, hi/lo beam, start button, kill switch, blinkers, and replacing them with waterproof toggle switches and then locating them somewhere out of the way. Has anyone done this? Can you think of any problems with doing this? ( this is my last question. really. i have to go to lunch now :cry:) :cry:

Unless you have a need for the spot that switch takes up,, leave um. The OEM switch gear, though a bit large,, is top quality. The connections, the terminations on the wiring harness,, all the best made.. If your good, if you use great quality connecters, Polyolefin shrink tube, proper solder and crimp technique,, you can recreate (or do better) then stock,, but otherwise,, your asking for a possible open, short, corrosion issue. If your in no need of the switch function in question… well that’s a bit easier.. Remove switch housing,, cut the offending plug off, terminate the wire with a bit of solder, some dielectric silicone and 3m Polyolefin heat shrink tubing.

I removed the headlight/turn/horn switch, seeing how I only use the headlight. And made my own pigtail to work the headlight, on low beam I think. We don't have any DOT type inspection here.

Halfcab, you still got that switch laying around? :cry:

Yes I do, and I want to keep it. You can never tell what this crazy state will do with the DMV next. Sorry :cry: