Uncork? Or not...

DynoJet and 3x3 mod done... Want to get an aftermarket header and can but not likely gonna happen for a while. Just wondering if cutting out the little dinky tube in the stock can will help reduce back pressure. And if so, what size hole saw?

You can unbolt the spark arrestor and try it for yourself! I did and noticed a difference! Not huge by all means but it definitly gave it a bit more snap. I bought the billet tip from red rider on ebay and it sounds throaty as well as adds a small amount of gain. Theres no doubt that I will eventually drop the cash on the yosh pipe to fullfill the true umph, but until I'm ready to part with all those dead presidents I'll ride this road. What i've been finding is every little bit helps on the DRZ! ?

$40 on ebay for the billet tip and save the stock one, when I did it really didn't notice any more performance but it seemed to get rid of the bog I was getting before when i hit the gas,,so there was an improvement and with 3 screws can reinstall the stock one anytime...plus sounds better and not to loud... ?

$40 on ebay for the billet tip and save the stock one, when I did it really didn't notice any more performance but it seemed to get rid of the bog I was getting before when i hit the gas,,so there was an improvement and with 3 screws can reinstall the stock one anytime...plus sounds better and not to loud... ?

No flame intended.... just personal opinion..

30 years of riding, driving and racing motorized vehicles. Not once in all those years, motor builds, chassis off rebuilds, custom built frames, suspensions, motor swaps, power train swaps, new bikes bought, or modified, has a single part $ been spent to make the vehicle "look" or "sound" better. I admit, that’s just me.

I think a perfectly tuned motor sounds great,, even if it is not loud, ratty, lumpy, or any other descriptive word you want to hang on it..

We all do what we feel is best for us,,, but I got to wonder if that $40 could not be better spent on,, fork oil,,, motor oil, saved towards a new exhaust, new front tire, pair of heavy duty tubes.....ect ect.

no flame taken ? didn't get it for the noise got it for hopefully less restrictive exhaust, it turned out to eliminate the bog I was experiencing on my stock drzs. not sure if every bike with it on will experience the same thing but that was a pleasant surprise that I experienced and have not had the bog return in over 300 miles since i installed it. ? I know I will need to do the 3x3 and rejet one of these days but am waiting till I can afford a good exhaust system first...

Oh dude you need to do the Dj needle and 3x3 and that bike will get real snappy! I had the same bog or just dog if you will and did the carb and whao!. Then I removed the stock spark arrestor and rode and noticed even more snap! Thats why I got the billet tip! Just so it didn't look bad with out an end cap! Not evryone has gobs of money lying around to dump into evry avaiable mod, so you do what you can and theres nothing wrong with that! I know my bike well and have had plenty of them in the past to gather knowledge. This definitly helped my bike no doubt about it! Saying that it don't is like saying the dyno jet kit is useless as well. The DJ kit did not set the world on fire but it did help, just as adding the Billet tip did. Now i can snap the throttle and lift the front wheel without clutch or serious preload.I'm not big on noise in fact I like quiet, But if it helps i'll take it. Is it me ?? Or did it change my power delivery?? :excuseme:I like it! ?

So your running a billet end cap and no SA ? I assume you do not ride your bike off road then? As it would be completely irresponsible to do so of course ?

And hey,, as long as your happy with the parts you bolt on to your bike ? That’s all that matters.. If you feel there was a difference in performance by adding a hunk of shiny billet aluminum then ? It's all good from there.

i bought the shiney billet e-bay end pipe tip. i just didnt want to ruin my stock end by drilling it out. when i hit the trails i can just bolt it back on. yosh is in my future once i save up another $400.00. the dyno jet kit and the end tip cost me about $120.00 and i was extremly happy how it runs right now. ?

For a quick trick just take the entire endcap off.

Remove the gasket and save in safe place.

find 2 or 3 flat washers that just fit the 3 allen bolts.

Put the bolt through the end cap and then add the washers and reatach endcap.

This will space it out a small amount and relief backpressure and add a little tone without damaging the original end cap and when your not in the mood you can always put it back to stock ?

I go back and forth depending on where I ride.

I even put the snorkel back in when I am stock endcap and remove it when I uncork it.

I really don't think the average rider is skilled enough to require the extra couple horsepower that exhaust changes make. Most of the time it just makes more noise and they aren't using the power which = more area's closed or off limits. ?

So your running a billet end cap and no SA ? I assume you do not ride your bike off road then? As it would be completely irresponsible to do so of course

Oh yea I see modern dirt bikes spitting flames all the time.... ? I use a spark arrester but feel the law is from a time long ago before good carbs and better bikes. ?

All it takes nowdays is one accident to prove that it came form a bike. Then you can kiss that ridding area goodbye for the future.

Seems like half of colorado burned down last couple years and it is an ugly thing.

I don't want to loose anymore ridding area's or give them an excuse ?

So your running a billet end cap and no SA ? I assume you do not ride your bike off road then? As it would be completely irresponsible to do so of course

Oh yea I see modern dirt bikes spitting flames all the time.... ? I use a spark arrester but feel the law is from a time long ago before good carbs and better bikes. ?

If you go riding at night,, try pulling your spark arrester....you will see lots of modern 4storke, and 2 stroke bikes belching sparks.

I did not believe it myself, until I did a 24 hour race, and watch it happen all night long.

I don't want to burn up anything either! I ride with several guys that are uncorked and I truly have never seen a flame one shoot out. If it's been dry for a while then you would have to use common sense! Over here in Ohio you would be lucky to start a fire with a propane torch let alone a muffler that points Darn near up into the air. My judgement was made by hands on experiments not by assumptions! Like i said it helped a little not a bunch and that little bit will now help me pop up over logs and other objects. I was riding it again today and man is it sweet!BTW the dude on ebay has the SA for the tip now! I still want a yosh to further widen my grin! ?

Got ya,, , .. ? Makes sense. Cool, so you noticed a difference with just an open cap ? :cry: ? Nice choice for someone that needs a new cap due to damage, but is not ready to spend on a full system.. Choices are good ?

OT, but related story,

We were riding a local spot a few weeks ago,, Been real dry and fire restrictions were in effect... But it had been raining for three days straight,, in the 100 miles of riding area were in,, you could not have started a fire with.. like you said,, a "propane torch ",, yet the rangers were ticketing for open fires,, cuz,, the whole designated area hand not been opened yet... the "designated area" included forest land several hundred miles away,, and true, they had not gotten the rain we had,, but the area we were in,, was darn near fire proof.

I did some mods to my stock exhaust and got great improvements. First I cut the flange that the stock tip bolts to, leaving only the 3 tapped mounting pads, and enough for the gasket to rest on. I then completely removed the first baffle that you see (the one with the tube sticking out). If you look at the baffle closely you will see that it is spot welded in 3 places to the inner perforated tube. Attack the spot welds with a sharp chisle until the baffle breaks free. Once it is free fold it up with pliers so that it is small enough to pull out. I made a custom end cap with a 1.50 inch hole and felt huge performance gains. The sound with the stock end cap is just about like stock, but the performance gains are still there. If you want more flow, put spacers or washers under the stock cap so that it is spaced out about 1/4 inch. I got more gains by cutting a 2 x 4 inch hole in the airbox side plastic and gluing a piece of Scotch Bright to the inside to keep the big chunks off the filter. My plastic is black and so is the the Scotch Bright, so you can hardly tell. What I noticed most was the increase in throttle response and quicker revs. If you don't want to remove the baffle, at least cut out the tube. I did this by first cutting the tube flush with a dremel tool and then putting the 1 3/8 hole saw on an extension and drilled out the tube. This helped as well, but I figured that since I went this far I may as well take out the entire baffle. It takes a little work, but was worth it for me. ?

Just wondering if cutting out the little dinky tube in the stock can will help reduce back pressure.

===============

Yes a little, baffle drill out even more.

any 2 stroke guy that that takes a stock canned DRZ4stroke and runs full bore into a corner then lets off the gas, will feel the negative impact of the stock DRZ engine braking, much like a huge parachute just opened. Lessening that back pressure of the stock can does aid in that reguard.

Thats interesting! I don't really want it to be too loud though.By working on the carb and air box and adding a bigger opening on the exaust i got what i needed for now. My bike would never pull the front tire simply by twisting the throttle. Hell I've had it over a year and just rode my first real wheelie on it today!My eyes popped open wide and a grin appeared on my face! I was like oh ya baby there you are, thats why we got rid of the xr600 ?

It takes alot of work to make the stock can too loud, if that's possible. I've got the end cap drilled , and several holes in the baffles, it's still not loud but sounds very nice. Coming up on cages at 9000 rpm, we ctch some attention , but that can also be a good thing riding the street.

A few months back, I was coming up the rear of an SUV, it began to swing into my lane so I started moving over towrds the curb, and I gave em and handfull of DRZ uncorked throttle. Guess what?

They got their but back over in their lane>G<