Sign in to follow this  

Im gonna build a street bike

Thanks OCC! My wife loves that show and because she's so into she suggested that I build a chopper out in the garage.

This is not normal for my wife. Ive been with her since we were both 18...almost 20 years now and she has never been into street or dirt bikes. She is generally pretty conservative....but has taken a liking to choppers and motocross lately. My son just started riding a year ago - on his 5th birthday, so I think that has a lot to do with it. Anyway, she likes the idea of a one of a kind, so Im going to make one. Im really in no rush, just thinking about picking up parts when I find a good deal or every month or so.

The only thing that I can't really do is weld. I've done some welding when I was going to school to get my aircraft airframe and powerplant mechanic licence, but thats about it. I was thinking about maybe taking a class and picking up a welder after I know a little more about it (something I always wantes to do anyway).

So Im thinking about buying a motor, wheels, and all of the other off the shelf stuff and then maybe buying and chopping a harley frame...or just buying a custom one thats already done. Then maybe make a tank or customize one. I'll probably paint it too.

Have any of you guys done something like this before?

Mike

I weld frames/swingarms for Victory Motorcycles.

I would buy a frame done and painted, save yourself the hassle and danger of chopping your own.

There are plenty of good frame builders around since OCC and West Coast Choppers hit it big. Let someone else worry about it.

Just my $.02

I have built tube chassis for drag cars. I have a full machine shop and it still isn't easy. I can weld pretty well but I have a rule, if the weld breaking can kill me I don't do it. I had a buddy that was almost killed when a roll cage came apart in a wreck. The welds weren't done right, they looked pretty but there wasn't enough penetration.

With your background I think you could do it but I would have a certified welder heli-arc it. I tacked all my tubing with a mig welder and had a good welder go over it with a heli-arc.

I had fun doing it and learned alot.

Check out eBay. With the recent chopper craze, there are dozens on companies with everything from bare frames, right up to turn key choppers. Only trouble with eBay is sorting through the crap to find the decent stuff. A lot of the rolling chassis' are made up of quality parts, at a fair price, but beware of fake stuff. There are a hell of a lot of people claiming to sell OCC, and Jesse James parts.....

Buy your frame, it will save you a lot of time and headaches. You will be cutting and welding to the frame. Just remember, that most of the stuff you order will not fit right when you start interchanging manufactures, so I hope you know some one that owns a machine shop! Buy the way...there are a LOT of crappy aftermarket frames out there, GOOD LUCK!! Don't expect it to be light when your finish. Harley people just cant figure out that light weight equals horsepower. You can't give me a stock Harley frame.

If Harley could only turn all that useless noise into horsepower!!!!!

I agree, buy a frame.

Do some research on rake and trail and if you want to go with an extended front end.

Just be practical, don't go 40'degree rake, 12 over with apehangers :cry: you'll have a hard time in tight places, not to mention if some old timer pulls out in front of you, and you need to react quick.

Building a chopper is a lot of fun, I am helping a friend build one now. BMW powered/shaft drive hardtail.

The "WarPig"

:cry: