Sign in to follow this  

Definitive valve issue poll???

So I had the valves checked on my 250X yesterday. All were within spec. I'm relieved, of course, but it got me to thinking... I've read pretty much every thread/post here on the valve issue, some folks have it bad, some folks don't have it all. What I want to know is if there is any discernable pattern to who has problems and who doesn't? As in is it 250R or 250X, do you race or ride where you run wide open, high RPM all the time? If it's an X, have you done any R type mods like cams/pink wire/etc? How religious are you with air filter maintance, etc?

I'll go first:

Model: 04 250X

Hours: approx 30-40

Mods: Airbox cut, JD jet kit, baffle out (NO pink wire mod)

Air filter: Twin air, screen out, clean it when it looks dirty

Skill level: intermediate

Riding: all woods trails, very little sustained high RPM use, but occaisional fire road blasting

Perhaps someone can actually make this into a poll, though I think it might be too involved for a poll? At any rate I sure don't know how to do it.

Basically I'm just trying to see if there is any rhyme or reason to who has valve problems, and why. Or is it just random, luck of the draw type thing? (which would suggest some kind of production problem?) There is no doubt people ARE having a valve problems, and far too many for it to just to be the occaisional lemon, which always happens. But perhaps if we got a little more scientific about it, other than just "yes I've had valve problems" or "no I haven't had any problems" we could figure out there is anything that seems to cause the problem.

Good Idea :cry:

I have re-shimmed once, rt. intake was at zero, left was spot-on. Both exhaust were at half of spec. I do not have any oil-leak issues. Broke in fast, not slow.

Model: 04 250R

Hours: approx 50-60

Mods: JD jet kit, FMF Q & PowerBomb header.

Air filter: Twin air, screen out, clean it consistently

Riding: all woods trails, very little sustained high RPM use, but occasional steep hill climbs requiring high rev.

Oils: ProHonda HP4M & ProHonda HP Trans. Both every 7-8 hours including new oil filter (Honda).

What about VIN info? I know some thought the oil issue had to do with where the beast was mfg.

JH2 = mfg in Japan

ME103 = CRF250R

9 =

4 = 2004

K = KUMAMOTO FACTORY

Re-shimming was no big deal, but I'm not looking forward to re-valving and recutting valve seats if necessary.

I'll likely go aftermarket for my valves, but not sure if I'll go SS just yet. :cry:

If you post you have no problems and you are in spec you are in denial dont you know. 750 miles on my X and no valve issues. I must be in denial about the valve problem. :cry:

I have a 250x with less than 20 hours and my intake's are at spec. and my exhaust's are .005(Left) and .006(Right).

Model: 2004 250x

Hours: 15-20

Mods: airbox cut, pink wire removed, Dr. D Exhaust, 160 main, NCYR needle 4th groove, 42 pilot(?)

Skill Level: intermediate

Riding desert, track and tight trails

I have a 250X with 820 miles and no problems (knock on wood):

Hours: Approx 40-50, based 820 total miles

Mods: Nothing to engine or ignition. Installed dual-sport kit.

Air filter: Stock.

Riding: Mostly woods trails, one enduro, two dual sport rides, very little dusty conditions.

Oils: Honda GN4 for engine and transmission, Maxima FFT for air filter.

I do all the maintenance per the schedule except for the oil and filter, which I do every 150 miles.

Bob

'04 crf250r with 41.9 hours

intake valves and springs replaced at 39 hours, rt. went to 0, left still at .005 but replaced anyway.

mods: removed filt screen

fmf factory 4

various air filters(labratory clean, every ride)

jd jet kit

used exclusivly for mx, lots of high rpm and sand

04 250r with 26 hours:

Had to reshim at about 12 hours (one intake and both exhausts, I believe, were just under spec when I shimmed) Last check 2 riding hours ago valves were spot on :cry:

I race 125B and rev it good but don't live on the limiter.

mods:

-Bills pipe

-twin air filter

-jd jetting

I own a CRF250X '04 in Portugal. Over here Honda Portugal gives you a 3 month guarentee(no competition use). I have known one valve case in which the bike had about 6 months use and Honda gave him a new head. ISDE Portugese team in Poland lost one rider DNF on a CRF250X valve related issue. Don't know how Honda resolved that one. Honda Japan should consider that what is happening is not only in the U.S. and Canada, but worldwide, and with sales not being on record breaking numbers, they should start issuing the subject.

This is an issue that makes every bike owner wish that it's not going to happen with him, but if we can avoid it, and how to avoid it, we can see what the signs are before.

I have not taken mine yet for the break-in ride, because here in Portugal it has been very hot and dry weather. I am also worried about the valve issue and don't want to risk it.

This valve issue poll is a great idea. I will post mine from break-in, to regular mateninance intervals. Settings are:

Model: '04 250X

Mods: airbox cut, NCYQ needle, 135 main, 42 pilot, baffle out,no pink wire mod

Air filter: stock, screen out

Oils: mineral for break-in. Then changing to Valvoline Synpower 10w40 Changing every other ride(each ride @ 150 to 200km)

Valve clearance: will post after break-in

Skill level: intermediate (one race per year)

Riding: Baja type terrain, some woods trails but very rapid type. Very dusty (now)but starts raining now and will be muddy and humid until March. Sea level.

What model of Twin-Air air filter can I get for the X? The same as the 250R?

Model: 04 250x

Miles: 745

Mods: Airbox cut, JD jet kit, pink wire mod, OEM baffle IN

Air filter: Twin air, screen out, No Toil oil, cleaned after every ride( ave. ride 80 miles)

Oil: Honda GN4 20W50 in summer, GN4 10w40 rest of year

Skill level: Expert

Riding: all woods trails,grass tracks, single & two track Riding Style: High RPM(no rev limit bouncing)

Valve Check at 745 miles: Exhaust L&R, and R intake at -.001(still in spec.) Left intake was -.002 out, and reshimmed from a 192 to a 188.

OEM Exhaust shims are: L 252 R 248

OEM Intake shims were: L&R 192

Hours: approx 150 hours

Mods: Airbox cut, JD jet kit, baffle out, pink wire mod

Riding: woods trails, sand pits

Checked valves yesterday for the first time and all are within spec.