Sign in to follow this  

Did I just do serious damage to my ignition?

I tried starting my bike about five times yesterday and each attempt I cranked the starter for about five seconds. When it didn't start I did a quick recon and saw that I forgot to re-attach the plug cable.

I have heard this is a major no-no for a bike's ignition. Once re-attached the bike fired right up but I don't know if I have done damage now or not. Do ignitions wear out over time or do they suddenly go out? Hopefully the latter and since the bike runs fine, I should be good for some time. The bike is a Husky TE250 if that matters.

Greg

Ya got nothin to worry about, pulling the plug wire off to crank the motor over for various reasons is common when working on bikes (and cars) if it was harmful to them mechanics all over the world wouldnt be doing it.

Just don't grab ahold of the spark plug wire while you're cranking... it wont hurt the bike but its damn harmful to the operator :cry: :cry:

When I was young and dumb, I had a junker suzuki that didnt run and didnt have a kill switch on it. Stupid me figured if I got it running, I would just pull the plug wire to shut it down. I dang near ended up on the ground when I shut down that bike.

2-somker probably would have fouled the plug. But like said above it didnt do any damage that I am aware of. :cry:

When I was young and dumb, I had a junker suzuki that didnt run and didnt have a kill switch on it. Stupid me figured if I got it running, I would just pull the plug wire to shut it down. I dang near ended up on the ground when I shut down that bike.

:cry: Its amazing that such a little black box can have such a big bite aint it? I've done similar stupid things when working on cars :cry:

My brother races go carts... they kill their engines by pulling the plug wire off, but they've got a plastic wiretie on it to use as a handle :cry:

Glad to hear I skated on this one. Just curious, why do folks say this is bad to do if nothing happened? Maybe something can happen but it is just real unlikely.

Goin' riding tomorrow and I can't wait.

Greg