Sign in to follow this  

new (to me) xr 400 q's

I just bought a 97 xr 400 to ride with my son. It is a great bike to relearn to ride on after a 20 year absence from riding. I have a couple of q's about the bike though. I am getting some ticking noise from the case when I start the bike that quiets down some after the bike warms up, but the noise is still there. THe p.o. said it has always made noise before and after he rebuilt the engine. The engine was bored .010 and it has a thumper racing carb on it. I don't know what other mods were done. The bike has good power and throttle response and is jetted a little rich. THe p.o. said the vallves were adjusted and gave me an adjustment tool for .004 and .005 gap.

ALso I want to dual sport this on the cheap. I can pull the wiring harness off a street bike but will it work for this. I know all of the DS stuff will work and I can modify the harness but I don't know if the rectifier/regulator will work. The ignition system seems to be completely separate from the lighting so it shouldn't be that hard. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee

Not sure on the lighting side but it will always have a click from the valves slapping, even when they are gapped correct. Make sure that it is on the correct stroke. The T on the flywheel will line up on 2 seperate strokes of the engine. One of which will give you a bad reading. 😢

Seems like most of us had about a 15-20 year riding absence before we got back to riding. You chose the XR400 like I did, and you'll be glad you did. There's much-o information-o here and people that are willing to help you out with anything technical. Get yourself a factory Honda Manual, as they are worth the money!!!

Welcome, fill out the info in you're profile, and go riding with other TT Members! 😢

I have a 2004xr and it always ticks and when ever I ride whith another xr it always ticks. I guess its just an xr thing. One of my riding buddies has a 70's something xr 650 or 600 and it ticks loudest of all but still has not broke down. But he does crash and fall over alot more then the average guy.

Thanks for the info. I will try to reset the valves and make sure I am on the correct stroke. If it was adjusted on the wrong stroke then the P.O. did it that way for at least 5 years.

Another question, Does the cam chain tensioner go bad often on tehse bikes? I have heard the DRZ's have problems but nothing about XR's

Thanks,

Lee