Sign in to follow this  

Removing fork oil????

Is there an easy way to lower the volume of fork oil? I have 440 cc's and it's way harsh in the initial stroke of the fork. So I guess my question is twofold...how to do it and will this make it more "plush"?

Thanks,

If you use the manual, it will show you how to remove it.

If you drain it into a ratio rite, you can measure how much you removed.

If you are going to go that far, I would just drain completely overnight.... then I would add new amount you want.

Get the oil changed, and doesn't really take much more effort than draining like you are doing anyways

I just had it changed yesterday and also had them increase the level (by way too much I think...) so the oil is brand new, I just need to remove some. I was hoping htere was a way to do it without removing the forks.....

To remove oil without taking out the forks, you'd probably have to remove your handle bars. Either way, if you get the caps off, you can try to suck out your excess oil and measure the amount. I have a syringe that's meant for pre-mix which works great for this purpose.

You should have them reset the level at the factory MINIMUM

specs.

Then test ride you bike and check for excessive bottoming. add 3 CC's of oil thru the bleed screws between test rides and find a level that you like, set you clickers in the middle.

As suggusted you can get a syringe at a feed store that will measure CC's. "take notes"

I set mine at 365cc but that's with .49 springs, and a sub tank.

Nobody has said it, but I will. You've got way too much oil in the outer chamber plain and simple.

Stock its "around" 410-415cc. If your trying to stiffen up the fork a little id suggest a stiffer spring.

if you dont want to go that route, drain out 30cc and see how it works.

Ive messed with oil hieghts more than I care to think about, and the easiest cleanest way is to take the fork out and invert it over the ratio right.

Thanks Shawn I was thinking I may have too much. I'll take out 30cc.

The oil height in your forks will have very little affect on the initial stroke. Higher oil height creates less air space so that as you forks are compressed the air trapped inside will be compressed more. The highest affect is at the bottom 4 inches of your stroke which is why it is suggested that you raise oil level to reduce bottoming.

It is possible that the new oil in your forks is a higher viscosity than stock (there is a lack of standardization among fork oil viscosity so not all 5w is the same). This would cause stiffer dampening and a harsher initial stroke.

I suggest backing off the compression dampening a little before reducing oil height.