Sign in to follow this  

quick question--tire size?

I'm at work, not looking at the bike. Need new tire for 00' XR 80. Dennis Kirk says size is 3.6-14. What is the equivalent? Is it the 80/90-14 or the 80/100-14 or either?

Thanks all

well this is a first i've never had a question someone on TT couldn't answer. :cry: :cry:

i'd say any 14" tire would work...but then again.....i'm no expert....good luck

Either tire (80/90-14 or 80/100-14) will work on your bike, but neither tire is as wide as the 3.60 X 14 tire. Normally, the metric tire size is read as follows:

80/100-14 reads out to 80mm-tread width, 100 mm-sidewall height and 14" rim size. Since 25mm = 1 inch, a 3.60 tire is probably closer to 90mm wide.

Hope this answers your question sufficiently.

I just put a 90/100x14 on my son's 03' XR80. A Dunlop 756. Big and meaty, grabs like crazy. Had to trim the white plastic mud deflector that nests in the crotch of the swingarm a bit. Upped the rear sprocket by a tooth as well to maintain near stock gearing since the tire is bigger than stock. Great tire, but now the bike is imbalanced as far as traction goes... the front slides out easily due to all the added traction. I've now found out that the front tire is a goofy non-standard size - so there's not much out there to upgrade that end... :cry: