Sign in to follow this  

I ordered the trailbikes 88cc kit

Now we're waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for the links Jester. I ordered the 275.00 kit - it has the cylinder, carb, cam, piston, and looks like all the gaskets and accesories to do the install. I also ordered the high volume oil pump. This is the one:

0930.JPG

I did't get the cdi...I wasn't sure if I needed it because I couldnt find any real performance specs on the kit. Does anyone know if this kit will increase the redline spec? I figured I'd wait and see if the stock cdi hampers the performance too much...Its for my 6 year old son, so I don't want it to be to wild...that's why I didn't get the race head.

Also, I didn't get a pipe for it just yet. Has anyone here used a stock pipe with this kit? We removed the spark arrestor and I fabricated an aluminum end cap to retain some backpressure and to look cool...so I was going to try it out with this kit for a while.

I'll probably put it together one night next week. When I do the installation, I plan on taking pictures at every step and then posting them to help out anybody else who does the kit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

If your going to buy the kit with the race head buy it from jeff at www.minigunz.com . He sells it for $420 but it comes with the race head assembled and it comes with a bigger oil pump.Thats like getting $30 for free just from buying it from him.

You will probably want to get the CDI as the extra power the motor makes will have the bike bouncing rev limiter constantly, and I ran it with stock pipe for a while and it worked fine, pipe doesnt make much of a difference. And contrary to ThumperMX113 get the TB CDI, works just as good as the Kitaco at half the cost. Oh and you will need a 5/64th drill bit to drill out the oil orifice for the oil pump instalation.

And here is a review on the race head motor. http://ministothemax.com/reviews_tb_race_head.htm

i was planning on buying rev boxes for my 2 50s, 1 has a pit king 100cc engine and the other is stock, i was also going to buy one for my cousins stock xr 50. we went to the honda shop to ask one of the parts guys if they were worth the money and told him if they were then we would buy 3 of them from him, he told us that we shouldnt get them because they would blow up the bikes because it revs so much more. and it must for him to tell us that concidering that we buy all of our 50 parts from him it must be true, he could have made $150+ on the rev boxes and much more on all the engine parts we'd need if we would have blown the bikes up but he still told us not to, that to me is a real sign that they are nuthin but trouble.

:cry: Your parts guy is a dumbass then. It will not blow your motor up, especially a stock one, it cant rev high enough to hit the stock rev limiter anyways. But on my 88 Race head I turn 12,000 rpm's all the time no problem and if you build the stock head up with some better valve springs it will turn that much just as easy. But what Im saying is that without a rev box my motor would not be very fast as I would be missing out on alot of power in the upper rev range which is really where it makes the meat of its power at.

I just got the exact same kit today - hope to tackle it over the weekend. Not even a hint of instructions though :cry: I've got the service manual though. This is the first time I've even thought of cracking an engine open, should be interesting.... :cry:

Could anybody compare the performance difference between the kit WITh vs WITHOUT the race head? Could a person add the race head later?

My 88cc kit w\ a stock head was around 6 hp. With the 3 vavle big head it was around 10 hp.

Could anybody compare the performance difference between the kit WITh vs WITHOUT the race head? Could a person add the race head later?

With stock head it makes about 6.5hp, and with the race head is about 8hp. The differnce is about like adding a 88 kit to your motor all over again. And yes if you just get the stock head kit you can always upgrade to the race head motor later.