Sign in to follow this  

02 XR400 replacing spokes need any advice

I bent my front wheel on my bike. Got a pretty good deal on an excel rim. (black $115 with shipping.) My hub is fine. I've taken my bent wheel off and am Having the tire mounted on my new excel at the honda shop. A new spoke set is $158, at the honda shop. Only had 7 broken spokes. What options do I have for spokes?

honda sells spokes one at a time, they are about $3.00 each and comes with the nipple.

, i'm not sure weather the spokes will fit on the Excell rims , you may have to go with THEIR spokes, or look at Buchannan's site and see if you can buy the washers to adapt the spoke nipples to the holes in the rim.(I'm presuming they are bigger holes)

do yourself a favor , put anti seize on each spoke thread before assembling the rim, the mecanic will be upset with getting his hands dirty , but he'll get over it, and it will be easier for you to adjust the spokes for yrs to come.

stu

Oh, jeez, yes, use the antisieze. Mine doesnt have it, and I'm contemplating replacing all the spokes and getting heavy duty ones, just because I cant hardly adjust them anymore.

I would use HD spokes. XR spokes are weak. I've broken two, just from hitting rocks. One more and I'll probably buy new ones.

RANNOCH, I have removed real old spokes by using a little; heat from a pencil type propane torch .

out of 36 i scrapped 4 which was not bad at all.

Hold the spoke with sm Vise grips and work the nipple with wrench back and forth, its a real pain but you can get them loose....... eventually!!!!

stu

Buchanans cost about $75 here in Hawaii. And most times it is thicker than the stock chrome ones. Stainless too!