Sign in to follow this  

04 vs. 05 CRF250R

Looking for first-hand opinions on the '04 vs. '05. If you own or have ridden both, please give us some feedback. I'm not looking for magazine opinions. Be as detailed as possible as to the differences. Power delivery, suspension, handleing, etc. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I would have to say that the 05 feels much more powerful than the 04. The 05 makes power sooner in the rpm range and I would suspect that it would pull the 04 out of corners harder. having ridden both I don't think the 05 makes more power than the 04 it just makes it sooner. The handling still feels a little nervous to me. I did not get to ride the 04 much, but the 05 feels about the same. I am still sorting out the suspension on my 05 and will post my impressions once I get the bike setup to suit me. For my type of riding the 05 makes good power off the bottom and it suits me fine, the 04 felt a little sleepy at low rpms.

I own a '04 and rode a '05 last weekend.

The '05 makes waaay more power right off bottom. It feels very rippy and carburates very crisply. I agree, the '04 feels lazy compared to the '05. I didn't wring the '05 out as it was new and wasn't mine so no idea if it lost any top.

Another noticable difference is the lowered subframe. It looks like a RC repilca. The rear of the seat/fender is about 1/2 inch lower than mine. Easier to get over the back of the bike if your short. Suspension felt the same, ergos the same. I hated the 742 front tire on my '04 but it seemed to work good on the '05.

ive done both bikes & still have the 05 but the 04 was awesome , i see no differences in either bike after months testing the new 05 , i dont like that no one has a up to date jett setting for the 05 , most will say use the same as 04 , mabey true ill let you know after this weekend , i just got the ti-4 pc pipe like i had on my 04 so hopefully it will bring back old memories , on either bike if we get the jett set right , both bikes are pretty equal , not to disagree with anyone just my opinions only , but i do know more than everyone......lol.. jk

Although I only have ridden (and still ride) the 04, which in my mind is a great bike, the 05 is probably better. If you do get a great deal on an 04 go for it though. I wouldnt call it lazy... it goes pretty fast if you twist that throttle and let it rev :cry:

Thanks for the replies. I had a chance to ride an 05 after my post and agree on the bottom end increase. My 04 has 52 rear and PC T-4 and still does not pull off the bottom like the 05. I didn't see a big difference on top, although this 05 was brand new (friends) and may change after proper break-in. If you ride in the lower RPM range, the 05 is stronger. JMO.