Sign in to follow this  

Whos goin to Rimrock?

I am going to be there. Probably head over satuday night and stay.

Trav, we are going to rule the 24 hr. Gonna be bitchin, and we're gonna bring home some WOOD (trophy that is) baby. :cry:

I'll be there. :cry: My first solo race. :cry: My only other race was the 24-hour team race.

I'll be getting there in the bright and early on Sunday morning. Brandon promised to wash my bike before and after the race. :cry:

I'll be getting there in the bright and early on Sunday morning. Brandon promised to wash my bike before and after the race.

WHich bike you riding? My bladder is only so big, and I am not sure I can wash all the mud off the DR-Z in one "washing".

:cry:

DRZ is home sick with a leaky fork seal. You will be washing my KDX. You better do a good job or I will tell everbody about your cross-dressing escapades. :cry:

Ok, back from the race...that race just flat out rocked!!!

Rode Open C as usual (NMA points for me) with the white pick up truck right in front of me...bang top 10 start, heading around island and the dust built up fast, stayed wide and got into the top 5 so I was able to avoid the infamous bottle-neck on the rock garden first turn (glad I rode the parade lap to plan my start :cry:)

Just held it WFO the hole race pretty much. The lake bed straights were awesome until heading into the stump area..got a bit muddy, avoided all big ruts that did swallow some bikes.

I stayed in the top 10 for the entire race, making the cut-off for another lap. Then with about a mile left or so, after last bridge, my bike quit. Swearing hard...I discovered that I was out of gas. No way that should be on an 1 1/2 race, even at race pace.

I pushed it to the finish :cry: :cry: :cry: Bout puked several times. Needless to say, my overall finish was 146th, deadlast, however, because of my 5 punch, I finished 4th place in the Open C class, I had the best finish out of the NMA series so first place points there :cry:. I figured about 20 plus riders passed me while pushing so...I missed 2/3 place, boo-hoo...

So, why did I run out of gas? I filled the bike up at home and discovered, with petcock on, the fuel just gushes out the over-flow tube out of the bottom of the carb. hmmm...guess I will be working on the carb tomorrow evening.

Also, broke my left fork guard, smashed the rear brake pedal and bent and tore the right foot peg bracket (bottom hole.) I will need to find a welder to see what they can do.

This race along with Cranberry has taken a toll on the bike. Tear-down time

A "C" rider with 5 punches??? By definition, aren't "C

" riders supposed top be 1st year riders? There were 4 "C" riders that were able to get in a 5th lap.

The only other riders in short course to do this was the Senior EXPERT class, 2 or 3 Sportsman class riders, and the winner of 4-stroke AM.

BTW, I finished 6th in 4-stroke AM, with 4 punches, 42 overall. But, 1st place NMA points competitor.

Moe

Rimrock was my first race since October of last year.

Well, overall, I always hate hare scrambles once I get there. There are masses of people, bottlenecks, holes getting dug, C riders yelling at me to get out of their way (dude, if you can't pass me like a man, sit back and enjoy the view) and dust. Oh well.

3rd wave start, and us and the super seniors take off. Long wide open field, up into some rocks, back to the field, and back into the rocks. Before I get too much farther into this report, let me point out: there are LOTS of rocks. Tons and tons. Some fist sized, some Volkswagen sized, most basketball sized. And I had forgotten to air my tires back up after letting them down for dunes riding . . . now there's preparation, huh? At least I remembered to put gas in the thing. lol So. Lots of rocks. Bottlenecks, tipovers, and stallouts in the rocks. Then a drop back out into the open, grab some throttle, and hang on until it's time to slam on the brakes and tiptoe through the rocks again. Actually, 2nd or 3rd gear standing up and relaxing was the most effective rock technique--too bad I was too tense to do it right.

So, more rocks, then out in the wide open fast stuff along the lake bed. It kind of sucks--you CAN go 35 or 40 or more, but there are these little tiny washouts and ditches that are shaped wrong to fly off. In fact one of them got me pretty good--I was going too fast to slow down right then, and too slow to jump over it. I bottomed out my bike HARD. I felt footpegs and frame scraping rocks. Ouch . . . after the lake shore . . . and then He said, "Let there be mud." Stinky thick slimy mud. Close to a mile of it. I only fell in it once--the rest of the time all I could do was hold on the throttle in 3rd gear, lean back, and ride in whatever zig zag pattern my bike decided to take through the mud. She didn't ask my opinion on what line we were going to take.

Next, we made friends with the rocks again. This time there was a steep nasty uphill, followed by a steep nasty downhill. Then more rocks. Even better--rocky whoops! FUN STUFF.

So, I managed to ride 3 loops in 90 minutes. Not horrible. One girl rode 4. Sandbagger. One girl on an XR 250 traded spots with me a couple of times, but I got around her on the end of the second lap and didn't see her again. The girl in the lead, I never saw. In fact I didn't even know there were 7 of us until I saw the results sheet. I didn't see most of them out there except 2, and 2 others I had seen at the riders meeting. Wonder where the other ones were hiding. Most of them scooted right on home after the race too so I never saw them.

I didn't ride my best but I did ok. I fell a few times, stalled a few times. There was a trough out in the middle of a . . . take a guess . . . big rock field. There was something in the bottom of it that would stop you like a brick wall. The first time I hit it in 2nd, picked my line, set up for it, blipped the throttle just a hair as I dropped into it . . . and stopped VERY suddenly. If I was a guy, that would have ended my day right there since I hit extremely hard. Second lap, did it agian, different line, 1st gear and putting, same result. It was bizarre. 3rd time was the charm as I went WAY to the right where it was safer.

I had some shining moments; my infrequent passes went well. XR girl and I went back and forth a little but I had more horsepower and a little more technique than she. She was still a threat though, not bagging on her at all. That was fun to fight for my spot. I passed a few others too, they may or may not have been other girls. I just get a thrill going around people because it doesn't happen too much.

Overall, I guess it was a good day. Got my new helmet . . . new gear . . . formerly clean bike . . . and a 3rd place trophy.

A "C" rider with 5 punches??? By definition, aren't "C

" riders supposed top be 1st year riders? There were 4 "C" riders that were able to get in a 5th lap.

Moe,

That is true, however, since I was in first wave and had an awesome start, I was able to avoid the the huge bottlenecks that always occur. Plus, have you ever had a day where everything "clicked" and just railed everything? That is what I felt like. Besides, I made the cut-off for extra lap by 4-5 minutes according to my friends watching. Pretty close.

Besides, I am sure you didn't push your bike from the last bridge to finish line :cry:

mx813

Hey, anybody know who won the open 'B'?

Could it have been anybody we know?

Is it a big ole secret?

Does anybody know who won the overall??

The NMA champion, :worthy:Kevin Bailey :cry:, was still in his pits when they threw the flag for the start of ALL the long course classes. AA class included. He left out his campsite, across the lake bed, stopped at the start, DNR checked spark arrestor & tabs, then he went around the island and started chasing down every rider in front of him. When the leader came back through the scoring station, after the completion of the first lap, Kevin was 3rd overall. AMAZING!!!! Just think where he would of been if he was on the line for the start.

So, anyone know the winner of the 2004 Rimrock GP?

Hey, anybody know who won the open 'B'?

Could it have been anybody we know?

Is it a big ole secret?

Not sure about open B. I know who won 200 B. :cry:

Hey Moe,

Did you happen to see what kind of bike the winner was on? Did he have a number? If you have this info I may be able to tell who he was.

#1 Clade Glasgow on a KX250

#2. Rob Flagler on a RM250

#3. Taber Murphy on a XR650R

#4. Kevin Bailey on a YZ250, he also ran out of gas about a mile out, on about the 4th or 5th lap, but, he was fast as hell out there, no doubt.

did anyone pay attention to the actual length of time they ran the 2 courses? on their web site, www.dustdodgers.org, it claims 1 hour for the short, 2 hours for the long, but other flyers indicated 1.5 and 2.5 hours.

90 minutes for the first race 2 1/2 hours for the second. The flyer was wrong. :cry:

so I have never bottomed out so hard in my life as I did when g-out'ing on some of those ditches... after the race I noticed a hole in my rear fender and assumed a rock had got thrown up and punched the hole...

however, I am working on the bike last night and happen to look underneath the fender and can see tire marks on the underneath of the fender, I think it might have bottomed out so hard the rear tire punched the hole in the fender :cry: :cry:

Halfnutz wrote:

Not sure about open B. I know who won 200 B.

Did you really win Open B???

Kick Ass!!!

Good job!

-Tyler